17

7th July

Shortly before lunch time, Superintendent Kwon called Jin into her office, not bothering to tell him why she needed to speak to him. Jin walked slowly towards her office, feeling strangely resentful against her for rushing into plastering Min Suga's name all over the media. She was probably going to send out a photo of his face soon, too and he didn't think that was a good move at all, but if Boa said it was happening, it was happening. Tomorrow morning, most likely.

He knocked politely on the door before entering, not waiting for her to say "come in". He sat down straight away and Boa folded her hands on top of the desk.

"How is the investigation going?" She asked calmly. "Have you narrowed down the suspects yet?"

Jin bit his lip, and nodded. "We've got three - the men on the CCTV. Suga is one, and the two men who went in and out of the building before him, but we haven't conclusively identified them yet."

"You have a hunch as to who it is, though, right?" Boa frowned in concern. This case needed to be cracked sooner rather than later because there was a review from the higher-ups in two weeks, and this was going to be the case they won them over with.

Jin nodded slowly. "I think it could be Bang Yongguk and Kim Himchan. They both claimed to be at a snooker bar together, but there's no CCTV to prove it, and the owner only said that it was 'quite possible' that they were there that night as they're regulars."

Boa frowned. "Honestly, I thought Yongguk seemed quite genuine when he came for the interview, but he's probably just a very smooth-talker."

"There is something that's bothering me, actually. Yongguk hinted to us that EXO Industries, meaning Kris Wu, could have something to do with Soyi's death, and when we looked into it, we discovered a company called S Group was the legal owner of every casino in Gangnam - which Chanyeol told us were owned by EXO," Jin explained.

Boa's expression had become more alarmed with every word he spoke. "I don't think we should pursue that avenue of investigation, Jin," she warned him quietly. "Kris Wu is one of the biggest businessmen in the country - he's sponsoring a presidential candidate! We can't risk dragging his name into this investigation when we already have three major suspects. Try to avoid linking him to anything public. If you find something about him that needs investigating, write a private report and bring it to me."

"But, ma'am, if he does have something to do with Kim Soyi's death, we need to investigate that," Jin insisted.

"I'm telling you now, Jin, don't do any unauthorised digging into Kris Wu - nothing that he'll find out about. He's an important and very influential man and I will not have my department sued for invasion of privacy. It'll be all over the media and I'll be the one who suffers the wrath of the Chief Superintendent," Boa informed him sternly. "Just stick with Yongguk, Himchan and Suga for now. I'll be releasing the photo of Suga to the media in the morning, and that'll get police and people all over the country looking out for him, so hopefully he'll be found soon. Dig deeper into Yongguk and Himchan and determine whether they were the men on the CCTV. We need evidence."

*****

Jimin and Yoongi were sitting on Jimin's bed after school and Yoongi had given the younger a little more background on how he came to end up at his school, so that he'd understand why he was running away.

"Namjoon isn't too pleased that I'm going with you," Jimin admitted as they reached the subject of his school friends' involvement.

"I'm not pleased you're coming with me, Jimin," Yoongi frowned. "You'll look like an accomplice. If I get arrested, you've got to tell them I kidnapped you, okay?"