25

12th July (continued)

Jin placed the phone back into the cradle and headed straight into his records cabinet. A police chief from Daegu had just called to inform him that an officer in his unit had been caught giving out case sensitive information to his friends. Having followed this man's actions on his work computer and the station's network history, it had been discovered that his interest lay with Park Jimin and a car which he had been following on the national road CCTV database.

Jin remembered Park Jimin. He was the boy he'd interviewed about seeing Min Suga on the night of the murder. He'd denied recognising Suga at the time, but after Suga's location was revealed to be the same school that Jimin went to, Jin had realised that he had probably made friends with him and was protecting him, but if that was it, then why were that officer and his friends so interested in him?

Rooting through the files, he located Jimin's mobile number and dialled it. It didn't even ring, it just went straight to a message which told him that Jimin's phone was currently taking a call from someone else. He called the listed home phone number to see if his parents could help.

The phone was picked up after a few rings. "Hello?" A woman answered, sounding preoccupied.

"Hello, this is DCI Kim Seokjin from Seoul Metropolitan Police, is this Park Jimin's mother?" Jin asked.

"Yes, I am! Has something happened?" She panicked.

"Not yet, to my knowledge. Is he not home?"

"No, he's on holiday with some... friends," she replied, sounding unsure of the 'friends' part.

"Could you tell me what friends?" He pressed.

"A group of his school friends, I don't really know much," she admitted. "It was a spur of the moment thing, they left a few days ago."

She didn't sound sure still, and Jin knew he'd just have to ask her outright. "Mrs Park, was Min Suga one of your son's friends? Did he go with them?"

Mrs Park sounded like she was starting to cry on the other end of the line, immediately alarming Jin. He wasn't any good with crying women. "I don't know, I think so," she sniffed. "Just before he left I saw his new friend's face on the news and I begged him not to go away because I was scared that this guy was going with them, but Jimin just said that he was sorry and that he had to do this for him."

"And he meant Suga?"

"Yes, I think so," she confirmed shakily. "Please, is Jimin alright?"

"Honestly, I don't know, Mrs Park. I haven't heard anything bad, but if he is with Min Suga, we need to find them both quickly. Do you know where they went?"

"My brother's holiday home in Jeju," she recalled. "Hold on, I'll find the address."

Jin took the address and upon hanging up, immediately put in a call to the local unit in Jeju, asking them to raid the property. Then he made a coffee and waited, wondering whether Himchan, who apparently had not been seen for a few days, along with the other B.A.P shareholders as Jin had discovered when he'd tried to find Zelo, was also looking for Suga and Jimin and maybe that was why they were running away so far.

***

Jimin returned to the beach house with a bag of food that he'd hastily purchased in a supermarket. He'd been out way too long and couldn't afford to waste time at the market. Inside, Yoongi was napping again on the sofa so he took the opportunity to listen to the recording of his conversation with I.M in the quiet of his room. The quality was good, and he smiled proudly, but just as he was nearing the end, his phone started to ring, cutting off the audio. The number wasn't one he recognised, but he was too curious to leave it.