1- Welcome to Deadwood

Dear Jasper,

I'm sorry to inform you that due to budget and contract concerns, the position in Lincoln, Nebraska, has been eliminated. I understand the inconvenience this will and may cause, and since this is a last-minute discord, we hope you'll understand the problem that has arisen. Because of this, I have spoken to the senior manager about the contretemps and can assure you; this will not happen again. We'll immediately take care of any arraignments you have already made and refund all monies you have already paid upfront because of this debacle. There is, however, another opportunity that has come to our attention in Deadwood, South Dakota. They specifically asked for you, and if you're still interested in the same position, it's yours to take. Attached to this email is the schedule they've presented to us. I ask that you look it over and immediately let us know what you've decided. If you would like to take on the job, all travel expenses, food, room, and board will all be paid by us.

Thank you for your understanding.

Yours sincerely,

Gregory Adams

******

It was four weeks before Christmas, and the one time of the year Harmony utterly dreaded. As she drove down Main Street to get to work, she couldn't stop her stomach from turning after seeing the sidewalks, store-fronts, taverns, and more, filled with holiday lighting and decorations; White lights, colored lights, wreaths, and lit up Christmas trees. Something one would see once a year as magical or as an enchanting winter wonderland appeal with holiday cheer. But not Harmony. As she saw happy-go people roaming the sidewalks smiling, laughing, and holding hands, it had her feeling miserable. Actually, she was feeling more like Ebenezer Scrooge.

Harmony exited her car with a frown on her face, with that frown not lasting long. As she walked to the doors of the casino, the corners of her lips formed upwards into a smile when she saw a man holding the door open for her. "Thank you," she politely said.

"No problem. Merry Christmas," he happily emphasized.

She quietly groaned, took a deep breath, and without saying a word, she exhaled while nodding as she walked in.

To keep from hearing those two words again, she looked down, trying to avoid looking at anyone she walked by while heading to the employee's room to clock in and finish getting ready. Harmony had just put on her apron when Nick, her boss, entered the room, shut the door, and stood against it with his arms crossed along his chest. "You're late... again." he sighed. "Is there something going on that I should know about? Because tonight is your fifth day in a row of being late, with each day being a different excuse."

"No," she said, shaking her head as she neared him. "Nothing has been going on. I do have two little girls, you know."

"Yes, I know. And I also remember mentioning to you that if you needed help with a babysitter, my wife offered her help with your girls."

"I know. And I thank your wife for that. But I don't need her help."

His brows lowered, his hands dropped to his hips, then he studied Harmony's expression. "Then, will you please explain to me why you've been late for work? I can't have you late for every shift of yours without getting reprimanded and without employees talking to other employees, thinking we're having an affair because I haven't done anything about your tardiness."

Harmony looked away and sighed as she looked down to the ground. "It's just been a bad week for me. Now, if you don't let me out of this room and allow me to relieve the bartender, the employees will really start talking," she alerted, smirking as she looked back at him. "You don't want them thinking we were in here doing what we shouldn't be, right?"