3 ~ The Sorting

Since meeting Lily and Severus, you had been anticipating the start of term with a fresh disposition. You couldn't wait to leave this wretched manor and learn alongside your friends, who you exchanged letters with so often that you felt bad for the owls, both Ruby and Lily's brown owl, along with Severus' barn owl who had begun coming a week after you met.

You awoke September first packed and ready, Ruby in her cage stacked with your trunk, where your broom(which you had been practicing on in the woods) was hidden beneath layers of clothes and robes.

You took everything downstairs with the help of multiple elves. Selena had many two more trunks than you, both fancier and stuffed with her belongings. Her owl, Zeus, was in his cage hooting rampantly.

"Hush that bird," said Jasmine, who was standing in the parlor. "Selena, show her where to go, I know you remember."

"Of course, Mother," Selena said proudly. Your aunt smiled fondly, cupping Selena's rosy cheeks in her hands.

"That's my little Ravenclaw," she cooed, handing over the flo powder. "You be a good girl this year! Write me often, won't you?"

"Of course, Mother," Selena agreed. She hugged Jasmine, then went up in a veil of green. Once she left, Jasmine turned to you.

The sweet demeanor was plastered again. Her hands were clasped before her softly.

"Now, dear," she began, stepping closer to you. "I expect your best behavior. You know who to talk with, don't you?"

"As few people as possible," you recited. "But if I must, the ancient families."

"Good!" The elves had hurried away by now. The whole term with Jasmine, no one else? You were worried for them. "No trouble making, now. Nothing but your best!"

"Yes, Jasmine," you said.

Don't say anything. Don't say anything! You were about to escape, just don't say anything bad! You had perfected the art of pleasing her. Only complain in your room.

"Now, off you go." You took a fistful of powder and stepped into the fireplace. "Remember to smile."

You were gone. King's Cross Station appeared in a blur of muggles running to their trains, stampeding over the cobble, rushing around the brick arches. There were, what were they called, poh-lice? All over, directing people to the right platform. Yours was none of them. Nine and three quarters. If you asked a muggle that, they would think you escaped the asylum.

"This way," Selena said, pushing her cart through the crowd. "Don't drag behind."

You followed like a lost puppy. Selena's bouncing hair was your beacon as she strut to the archway between platforms nine and ten.

"Just run at it," she said. "Then get on the train. That's all there is to it, you can't mess it up."

You were about to ask a question, but she was gone, dashing to the wall. She vanished as if gone through a curtain. You looked around. Were Lily and Severus here? You couldn't see them.

While searching, you saw someone. A girl with tan skin and brown hair. She was walking slowly over to the platform, her owl cooing impatiently.

"Are you lost?" You asked, walking over to her. "I'm on nine and three quarters, if that's what you're looking for. Want to come?"

"Yes," she said. "I'm just a bit worried is all."

"It'll be fine!" You said, leading her over. "I think Hogwarts will be nice! (Y/n), what about you?"

"Maddie," she said. "Maddie Riddle."

"Nice to meet you," you said. "Let's go!"

You dashed through the wall. Half expecting to crash, you shut your eyes tight. When you didn't tumble, you opened them wide to see Maddie standing next to you before the Hogwarts Express.