4 ~ A New School Rule

"Come on, wake up all ready!"

The curtains of your bed were drawn back to reveal Lily framed angelically by the harsh morning light. She was dressed and ready, along with Alice and Mary, who were trying to roll Dorcas out of her bed. You pulled the red quilt tightly over your eyes.

"No," you groaned. "I'm perfectly fine here..."

Lily tore the blanket from your body. She tossed it onto her neatly made four-poster and threw your uniform at you, along with your hairbrush that narrowly missed your head.

"You'll miss breakfast if you don't hurry," she explained as Dorcas groggily sat up, "And we have Charms right after!"

The notion of a meal roused you from your bed. You rushed to change into your uniform, tearing the brush through your messy (h/c) hair and smashing your toes into your shoes as you ran down the stairs after your roommates and charged out of the common room.

As the girls waited for you at the base of the stairs, you forgot about the only thing of importance that Molly and Arthur, your prefects, had said last night. There was a stair on the way to the Great Hall that loved to trip up students.

It vanished beneath you. Your feet fell out from under you and you tumbled down the last of the stone stairs, hitting them at all the wrong angles.

"(Y/n)!" Mary cried, running to help you up. She checked your arms and legs for bruises, which you could feel forming. "Are you alright?"

"Er, yes-" you ignored the throbbing in your calf- "Let's just pretend-"

A cacophony of giggles erupted behind you. Selena, along with three older Slytherin girls, was walking toward you laughing.

"Is that itty bitty (L/n)?" Asked one of them. She was stunning; skin pale as the moon and tightly curled, voluminous black hair. "Not so much like her cousin, is she?"

That girl looked over to the one beside her. She had black hair, too, but it was straight and finely combed. They looked alike, and so did the blonde girl looking at her shoes.

"No," said the sister, you assumed. "Not at all."

"Hello?" You said, looking at the group.

"Did we speak to you?" Asked the curly haired one in a high, oddly childish voice. "Selena, keep your cousin in check!"

Selena looked down at you. Her painted lips turned down as she huffed, fluffing her flawless afro.

"I try not to speak with her."

Their laughter echoed in their wake as they went to the enormous doors of the Great Hall. The blonde one spared a glance your way, looking almost regretful before following after her herd.

Perfect, you thought, day two and I've already become a target. Who were those girls? You were certain they looked familiar - probably some pure-bloods from a party long since past. Of course Selena was friends with them.

"What was that about?" Asked Dorcas, her dark hands on her hips. "Do you know them?'

"Selena is my cousin," you said, smoothing out your skirt from the fall. "Those must be her friends."

"Let's keep you away from them, sweetie," suggested Alice. She patted your shoulder comfortingly. For only having known these girls as your new roommates, you were glad they were friendly enough to comfort you.

"Don't dwell on it," said Lily, clapping her hands excitedly. "It's our first breakfast!"

The Great Hall was just the same as it had been during the Sorting. The four rows were laid out in order from left to right, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin on the far end. Your group managed to squeeze in among the older students to grab some food before the first class.