5 ~ Quidditch and Cats

The next week, you did your best to avoid both the idiots that had gotten you into the broom mess and just about every other person in your year. Though your names had not been leaked, you felt like it was no longer the Ravenclaws who despised you: it was every student whose parents had bought them a new broom to show off at Hogwarts. Now they were all locked up in Hooch's office, though you knew yours was still in that special dusty cupboard.

A prime example was Transfiguration. The instructor, Minerva McGonagall, who had led you into the Great Hall on your first night, had made your life a million times worse by seating you, Dorcas, Sirius, and James in the front row - side by side. Word had gotten out(safely among teachers) that it had been the four of you that caused the ruckus.

"We are starting simple," she said, strict as ever. McGonagall paced back and forth in front of your row, sending stern looks to each of the four of you as she passed. "Transfiguration is a dangerous form of magic, and it is more complicated than those classes where you cast a floating spell or recite the Great Goblin Wars. You must not only transform something, but have an equal amount of skill in reverting it back to it's congenital form."

Using her free hand, as she was holding her wand, McGonagall moved her blackboard from the front of the room. Then, turning to her cupboards, she cast out her wand and the goblets and scrolls that they held became a flock of birds. As the class gasped, she switched them back.

"That's so cool..." you mumbled to Dorcas. She, awestruck as well, did not respond. You whipped around in your chair, craning your neck to see Remus and Peter behind you. You tried to mouth something, but saw their eyes go wide as a hand slammed down on your desk. You jolted back into position to see McGonagall glowering at you.

"This class requires no lack of attention, Miss (L/n). I would recommend you try your best."

Blushing at the snickering around you, you silently wished that her anger would not last long.

The dreaded(yet highly anticipated) day came all too fast. You had no way to have practiced, other than during flying lessons where Hooch had you under the watchful eye of a Hufflepuff prefect called Ted Tonks who had agreed to help out. He brought with him the blonde girl, Sirius's cousin, to aid him.

To your enjoyment you had watched her(Andromeda as Ted said)scold Sirius along with James. You and Dorcas got off easy with the much more timid prefect.

Though, it may have been better if you hadn't. Walking with Dorcas to the Quidditch Pitch, you found that your nerves were in overdrive. The lack of practice was leaving you feeling entirely underprepared.

"All you can do is try your best," Mary had told you before you left the common room. Alice gave you a reassuring hug as you left the stairs, and Lily had been sure to remind you of how often you practiced back home.

"You'll be better than anyone there," said Dorcas as she clapped your shoulder.

You had a hard time believing it; an even worse time as James and Sirius came barreling down the hill, running to the pitch like chickens who had lost their heads. You groaned.

You found yourself wondering about your house again. Ravenclaw was a much better fit. You were clever enough, you thought, and weren't too awful in class. But you didn't ever feel very brave, and certainly were nothing like the boys who could be so confident as to run to the pitch head over heels.

"Trying out?"

You turned around. Maddie was in her athletic robes with a broom in hand. She had a Ravenclaw beside her with the same arrogant look about him as he had when he called you a traitor in Charms. You swallowed, looking worriedly at Maddie who mouthed a "sorry" as he walked down. She did not seem to want him there, either.