Phantom Blood: Part I

~~+~~

[Name] woke up to the soft melody of chirping birds and the rush of water nearby. Bright, afternoon sunlight hit her eyelids, making her cringe and sit up, rubbing her neck in the process. There was no sign of an injury. "Ow... what the hell just happened? How long was I out?" [Name] blinked and looked around, her mouth dropping open in shock: she had woken up in a large clearing, a peaceful silence only broken by the noises of small animals and moving water.

"Where the hell am I? Did some idiot kidnap me? I swear- I'll beat their ass!" [Name] gave a nervous shout. She knew it was hardly the time to make such assumptions, but she couldn't help trying to find an explanation for what had happened. Deciding against wasting her time sitting around, [Name] held her paranoid thoughts close and explored the clearing- there must've been a clue as to where she was somewhere. Rummaging through shrubs and foliage, [Name] eventually found her savior.

"A newspaper! Great! A city, and a date, too!" [Name] flipped through the tattered paper until she reached the front page. She looked at the top of the paper, and what she saw was nothing short of heart-stopping.

"What the hell? This has to be a prank." [Name] was hit by a sudden range of emotions- confusion, hysteria, anger, fear- "The Times, 1881... I must be dreaming." The girl knew that what she was going through right now wasn't a dream, or at least didn't seem like one- making breakfast, the blood on the grass, the arrow, her current situation- it was all too real to be figment of her imagination. Yet she couldn't help but make up any excuse she could to find a reason for what was happening to her at this very moment.

Her mind was a mess. A jumble of random thoughts and assumptions raced through her head as she racked her brain for a plausible solution. [Name] stopped, as her ears picked up young voices, close enough to hear but far enough away she couldn't make any distinction. Two of the voices were getting louder, seemingly chanting something. [Name] decided to approach the three indistinguishable figures they belonged to: she had nothing to loose, anyways.

As she got closer to the voices, running her fingers through her tangled hair, [Name] could make out their tone and the appearances of their owners. Two boys and a girl, all young kids. The boys were teasing the girl, [Name] assumed, based on her shouting.

 "No, stop! Please, just give her back!" The boys had something of the girl's, then?

"Yeah! Yeah! Oh, lemme guess, Erina! Your daddy bought you this doll, didn't he?"

'Huh, Erina? Odd," [Name] thought. It wasn't a name she heard often

"It's fancy. Being a quack must pay him real nice. I know. What do you say, we peel off this fancy-looking dress, huh? And see if they made her with all the real girl bits underneath?"

[Name] was disgusted, she had to admit. Of course, she made immature, sexual jokes when she was around the boys' age, which she presumed was about 12 or 13, but she never took it as far as to insult someone's family and steal their possessions. Maybe the boys were insecure.

The girl started crying, her bullies only encouraged by her reaction.

"Erina's a crybaby! Erina's a crybaby!"

[Name] could hardly keep her cool. She was lucky enough to never witness it firsthand, but bullying was not something she tolerated. She quickened her pace, ready to give the boys a piece of her mind.

"Erina's a cry-"

"Give her back her doll!" the boys' teasing was cut off as another figure ran towards them. Name stopped in her tracks, she was now close enough to get a good look at the new boy, along with the girl and her bullies.