CH14. Daph's POV - Blue Jay Way

Chapter 14 – Daph's POV

Blue Jay Way

"Now, this is the good life."

I'm sitting with my feet in water in the old kiddy pool we would use to wash my late dog, Pistachio, lying back in a beach chair, with my hair up. The weather is surprisingly warm on this fine evening.

I made this little set up for Jean. I'm babysitting her, but I'm trying to treat this as more of a resort and spa than a study lesson. We went through her homework quickly anyway.

I actually made mocktails for us. I have to admit it took a lot of control to not add a dash of rum in my glass. Kevin is home and I want to smother him with his dirty socks.

Mom is working all night long, she's got the night shift at the hospital and my step dad is busy in the garage playing with his fishing gear.

Kevin always plays king of the house, more than usual, when Mom is not home, and his Dad lets him. I love my step-dad but I seriously hate the fact that Kevin is his son.

"When the enemy is relaxed, make them toil. When full, starve them. When settled, make them move," Jean says with a little grin.

"What?"

"It's from Sun Tzu," she explains.

I frown, looking over at her. "When did you read Art of War?" And like, learn to quote it.

"With another babysitter."

So Blake is teaching her Art of War? What a weirdo. "Oh yeah? Who's your favorite babysitter? Blake or me? Pick me, pick me," I tease her, shoving her with my elbow playfully.

"Josh," she answers, unaffected.

"Huh?"

"It's Blake's friend. He's nice. He babysits me sometimes when Blake or you can't."

Josh? Blake's friend? Wait, was that Catherine's step brother? I think that's it. I didn't know he looked after Jean.

Also, the way her cheeks are turning red, I can't help but turn on the gossip tone, "Oh, tell me more about this Josh."

Does she have a little kid crush on him? Cute.

"He's just nice. He gets things. He's funny. It's nice to talk with him about... stuff."

"What stuff?" Wait, what could an older guy talk with her? Should I be worried?

Cheeks still red, her eyes not meeting mine "Nothing," she mumbles.

"Jean?" I press, sitting a little bit more up-right. I'm like maybe forty five percent worried.

"I think girls are really pretty..."

Oh.

Wait.

Is she...? How did I miss that? "I think girls are pretty too."

She shakes her head. She still won't look me in the eyes. That little ten-year-old sweetheart is ashamed. I hate humanity. "No, but I mean, like..."

I don't let her keep on struggling to get the next part out. She doesn't need to be ashamed to admit this. I hate that people are still goddamn ashamed to admit this. "I know what you mean, sweetie," I say, stroking her hair.