Chapter 11

Like Lihua predicted, Renjun won the fighting portion of the competition, making him the next Commander of Medical Warriors.

Lihua had to admit, Winwin did a good job training Renjun. Renjun still struggled a bit with his last opponent, but he was much more skilled in comparision to when she trained with him a week ago. His movements were more crisp and with purpose, almost as good as Lihua. She couldn't help but remember how Winwin had promised to train with her as well.

As she turned to take a glance at Winwin, Lihua noticed that the male was beaming with pride, as if Renjun was his own child.

I mean he kind of is.

As Renjun was given his new white robes, Lihua gave Winwin's arm a poke.

"Good job." Lihua told Winwin as he turned to see what the girl wanted. "He couldn't have done this without you."

Winwin shrugged his shoulders. "You can do anything if you put your mind on it. That's how you became a warrior."

Lihua was surprised by Winwin's words, not sure if it was a compliment. She hurriedly ran after him as he exited the arena with Yuta.

"Wait!" Lihua called out.

Winwin stopped moving and Lihua watched as he motioned to Yuta to continue walking with the others.

"What do you want?" Winwin asked as Lihua caught up to him.

"Were you trying to compliment me for working hard?" Lihua asked as they continued to walk, now side by side.

"I have nothing to compliment you about." Winwin told her. "Unless it's about your huge ego."

"That's an insult though." Lihua pointed out. She watched as Winwin bit the inside of his cheek, his method of preventing himself from laughing.

"Yah!" Lihua exclaimed, poking the male in the ribs. Winwin flinched, the laugh naturally coming out with a wide grin.

Winwin shook his head, a smile now on his face. "Come on, let's go congratulate Renjun."

"I don't know." Lihua said, stopping in her place as she stared at the crowd beginning to gather to congratulate the new commander. "I don't think Renjun likes me that much, I might ruin his day."

"Nonsense." Winwin said, grabbing her wrist. "As much as you insult him, he knows it's just your messed up way of showing affection. He talks about how much he admires your strength and confidence all the time, just not infront of you because you intimidate him."

Winwin put a smile on the girl's face as she let Winwin pull her towards the boy proudly standing on the top of the podium.

...

Dinner that night was a big feast with the return Kun, Lucas, and Ten's fathers to the kingdom. Every year, the three men go on a journey to the neighbouring lands to give their report.

The rest of their families had joined as well, taking up most of the main dinning hall in the palace. It was fine though, as the royal family was enjoying their meal in the terrace with Chohee.

"How have you been doing?" Kun's mother asked. Lihua found the woman as her favourite, as she often took care of her and Winwin when they were little and her father was busy. Additionally, her father told her that Kun's mother was a close friend of her own mother.

"I've been well." Lihua told her. "I completed my medical training a few days ago."

"That's good to hear." Kun's mother said, clearly impressed. "I'll be right back."