Chapter 12

After dinner, Lihua watched as Winwin immediately got up, heading straight towards his room. He was clearly in shock of the news of his real identity.

For some reason, Lihua felt the need to follow him while her father went in the opposite direction, probably to have a proper talk with his friends.

Lihua stood there, right outside Winwin's room, hand on the door. She could hear him shuffling inside, so she waited for the noise to stop before sliding the door open.

Winwin's head snapped towards her, the male sitting on his bed, legs crossed. He had changed out of his robes, sporting his night wear instead.

"What do you want?" Winwin asked as Lihua slid the door close behind her, making her way to the bed.

"Are you okay?" Lihua asked, sitting across from him. "That was a lot to take in."

"Why do you care?" Winwin spat back. Lihua bit her lip, trying to prevent herself from lashing out at the male.

He's in shock and you know him. You know that he acts like this when he's in a bad mood.

"Why can't I?" Lihua asked, staring into Winwin's dark eyes. His eyebrows were furrowed, a scowl on his face.

If she was a regular warrior in his squadron, that look would tell her to turn around and walk away. It was a sign that Winwin was not happy and that the wrong words said could push him the wrong way, and no one wanted that.

But Lihua wasn't a regular warrior, she was the girl that had grown up beside the male, their rooms being separated by the thin paper walls their entire lives. Lihua knew Winwin best, and she knew that he was putting up walls because he didn't want to show how hurt, sad, or broken he was on the inside.

"We can talk, you know." Lihua said, reaching her her hand out towards him but Winwin moved away from it.

"Just leave, Lihua. There's no point in pretending so just leave me alone."

Pretending? The guts this man has!

Lihua glared at the male before standing up to leave.

"All you had to do was ask." Lihua said as she moved towards the door, slamming it shut behind her.

...

Winwin stayed staring at the wall as he heard the door slam.

I'm sorry.

Winwin knew himself well. His greatest strength as a commander is that he never showed his weak side. But was also his greatest weakness as a person, always keeping his inner feelings deep inside.

His friends also knew him well though, and Winwin was certain that the others they knew when Winwin was pushing them away for the sake of his own pride. He also knew that they hated whenever ever he did that, but at the end of the day, they would always let it slide.

Winwin heard the door open and was about to yell at Lihua to get out but it wasn't the girl. It was her father.

"I have something for you." The retired general said, entering his room. Winwin noticed that he was holding a weapon in his hands.

It was a golden sword in a red and gold silk sheath, a golden dragon engraved onto it. A round piece of jade was located on the sword's handle. The words Dong Sicheng were engraved into it.

The sword belonged to him.

"Your parents gave me this before we left the palace." The man informed him as he placed the sword down on top of the white bed sheets. "Use it during your journey."