You can't help her

Months Earlier:

Stacy's POV: Sitting behind my desk, I scanned through another stack of medical records boredly before tossing them to the side. "You liking it here so far", Becky asked.

"It's a little different than what I'm used to, but I like it", I hummed. "Walter gave me the grand tour yesterday, but I didn't really get to see all of it", I admitted. 

"I'm sure you'll fit in just fine", she assured as I looked down at my watch.

"I think I'm gonna take my break", I said, getting up from my chair. "Maybe even walk around the hospital a little more", I told Becky before exiting the room as I made my way down a long hallway. 

Making my way toward the elevator, I pressed the button as I waited for the elevator to come up. Looking down a dark corridor, I paused, noticing a light coming from a room at the end. Ignoring the sound of the elevator opening, I walked down the hall, pausing outside as I spotted a young girl sitting next to the bed.

"What are you doing down here", a nurse demanded, causing me to jump as my heart pounded in my chest.

"I'm so sorry. I just saw the light on and thought...", I trailed off. "I'm Dr. Stevens", I explained, watching her eyes spark with recognization. 

"Oh, you're the new doctor", she nodded. "I'm sorry. I was told to expect you", she said apologetically. "I'm Crystal", she said as my eyes refocused on the young girl. 

"And I understand that this is very sudden, but I just wanted you to know", I overheard her say. "You probably saw this coming from a mile away, huh", she chuckled, reaching out to take the patient's hand.

"Who is she", I questioned.

"She comes here every night, and sits with her", she answered. "Sometimes, she just does her homework, and other times she reads her a book or just talks to her", she explained. "They say she did it", she commented, causing me to frown.

"Did she", I asked, looking over at her with a small frown.

"I honestly don't know", she shrugged. "I knew both of them before the accident", she admitted.

"Accident", I frowned.

"Fire", she said, glancing over at me. "I'm surprised you haven't heard about it. It was all over the news", she stated. "There was a fire at the old Salvatore Boarding school a few years ago. It was all everyone talked about for months", she supplied, causing me to close my eyes sadly. "I remember that day clearly. I was working late that night, covering the night shift, and they just started wheeling these kids through our doors", she explained. "Most of them suffered third degree burns on over half of their body. We lost a lot of people that night, and the ones who did make it was never the same", she sighed, her eyes darkening sadly.

"Josie was always so bright. She would show up and give everyone brownies, and cards...she was the sweetest thing", she whispered. "Her sister was entirely different. She was full of energy, and competitive", she chuckled. "That girl could make eating a competition", she smiled sadly. "Then the accident happened", she sighed. "We nearly lost her that day...multiple times, but we managed to get her back", she nodded. "She's a fighter that one", she told me before her smile slowly disappeared.

"After that day, everything just fell apart", she admitted. "She wasn't herself anymore. She just...changed", she said. "She started showing up here every day. Some of the other nurses tried to get her to leave, but...", she sighed as I frowned to myself, watching the poor girl fix the blankets.

The next morning, I walked to work and spent time in the girl's room, looking over her charts. "You can't help her", I heard someone say, causing me to jump as I spotted the same girl in the doorway. 

"You startled me", I chuckled breathlessly.

"Everyone has tried to help, making promises they can't keep", she commented, walking into the room as she touched the girl's hand gently. "How about we just keep all the empty promises and lies", she suggested, turning to look up at me. "And you can go back to pretending we don't exist", she finished.

"I just wanted to-"

"Well, you can't", she snapped, causing me to wince at the sharp tone. "It's impossible", she muttered, swinging her hand to gesture toward the door. "Don't let the door hit you", she said, focusing back on her book. Looking the girl over, I quietly walked out the door. 

Maybe she's right. 

What can I do that the other doctors haven't already tried? 

I tried giving up. I really did, but every day I find myself looking into that room, watching the young girl silently. I knew I couldn't walk away from this. What kind of person would I be if I didn't at least try? 

So, I went to work, gathering information, and even attempting new medication. I attempted every last one of them, but the girl still showed no progress. I frowned, sitting at the foot of the bed as I looked over my notes again. 

This makes no sense. 

Am I doing something wrong? 

Is there something I'm missing?  

My head shot up as I heard what sounded like a choking sound. Rushing to the girl's side, my heart beat out of my chest as I carefully pulled on her breathing tube. "What the hell are you doing", I heard the girl shout as she pushed open the door. Dropping her bag onto the floor, she rushed to her sister's side before shoving me away. I looked down at the tube in my hand as I watched the girl's chest rise and fall steadily. "She's breathing on her own", she whispered in amazement before turning back to me with a small spark in her eyes. "There may be a chance after all", she said hopefully. 

The next few days passed fairly easily, until I walked to work on that Friday morning. I clocked in, before walking down the hall only to see the girl sitting outside her sister's room with her head in her hands. "What's going on", I frowned, noticing the amount of people inside the room.

"It's over, Stacy", she sniffed, looking up at me with tears in her eyes. 

"Over", I frowned.

"She had an episode this morning", she admitted.

"A what", I asked in confusion.

"She stopped breathing again. They put her on oxygen, but I'm not allowed inside", she explained. "Every time I think she's getting better. That there's a chance she might...", she choked out, before grabbing her bag and taking off down the hall tearfully.

"Josie. Josie, wait...", I shouted, before deflating as I glanced into the room in defeat.