I was ready to end it

Two years earlier:

Lizzie's POV: Walking out into the hallways once more, I looked down in one direction to see a solid wall of concrete with smoke coming out of the cracks. I looked in the other direction to see water pouring out of what used to be the showers and a flickering light barely hanging of what's left of the ceiling. I didn't exactly see a great option in either direction, but I was less afraid of water and electricity than the fire that was on the other side of the heap to my right, so I turned left and made my way down the hallway as best as I could.

The whole situation was getting me down. I felt like I was about to cry, but kept fighting back the tears. I needed something to take my mind off of it as I walked along the hallway. Tripping over something, I inhaled deeply as my knee landed on a rock.

"Lizzie", Hope questioned, walking out of a hole between the hallway and dad's office.

"Hope", I frowned, scrambling to my feet. She looked torn up and appeared to be limping a little, but I knew she would heal. Before I could ask anything about Josie or my dad, Hope's eyes widened before she lunged forward and pulled me toward the office as metal and drywall fell down, sealing the way out.

"What are you doing here? Josie and I was looking everywhere for you", she asked me in concern.

"I was trying to find Josie", I admitted, following Hope into the office since it was the only way to go.

"Lizzie", Josie called, looking up from her spot on the floor. "Are...are you okay", she asked, looking me over as hurried to her side.

"Jo", I gasped, tears filling my eyes as I scanned her face for any visible injuries. "W-what happened? Why are you...", I trailed off, noticing the way her right hand was pressed against her side. "Jo...", I whispered, eyeing the dark liquid soaking through her fingers. I wanted to hug her, but was scared to touch her. Instead, I gently took her free hand in mine.

"Is...is he okay", Josie spoke up, refusing to meet my eyes.

"I think so, but he needs medical attention", Hope warned, causing me to turn around to see Hope kneeling over dad's body.

"What happened", I whispered, swallowing passed the lump in my throat.

"He...he saved my life", Hope whispered, blinking back her tears. "He pushed me out of the way and was crushed by a ton of concrete", she explained tearfully.

Tears fell from my eyes as I wiped some dirt off Josie's cheek and pressed my forehead to hers. "It's okay. I'm gonna get us out of here, okay", I reassured her as tears left her eyes. "Just tell me what to do", I asked Hope, looking up at her almost pleadingly.

"I don't...I don't know", she sighed. "I don't know what happened or what's going on...", she admitted.

I felt so helpless. Hope usually had a plan of some kind. A plan for everything, but now...

"I did it", Josie whispered, causing me to frown in confusion. 

"What", I frowned, watching a tear slid down her face. 

"I...I set the fire", she admitted, causing my frown to deepen.

"Why", Hope spoke up, looking just as confused as I am.

"I didn't do it on purpose. It was an accident", she said defensively. 

"It doesn't matter", I waved them off. 

"But-"

"The only thing that matters is getting out of here", I told her firmly, before catching Hope's eyes.