Part IV: Be Seeing You

The cold breeze rushed past as you zipped through the city. The sound of Keigo's wings slicing through the air beside you was barely audible as the wind roared in your ears. Swooping over and under street lights and high-hanging signs, you had no trouble keeping up with your feathered friend. Unlike your shaky flights during training, this was quick and controlled.

"Not bad." You heard him call. "Let's see how you handle this." With a strong beat of his wings, Keigo thrust himself upward. You smirked as he zoomed ahead of you, but were quick to propel yourself as well. You caught up within seconds, feeling quite confident in your speed. As you squinted up you saw where he was headed: the top of one of the taller buildings where an antenna sat surrounded by a metal platform- presumably meant for workers. With his red wings stretched out behind him, he landed on the steel grate with a soft clank. Following suit, you aimed your feet towards your landing spot; however, in your adrenaline-filled daze, you neglected to slow your speed. The soles of your boots hit the scaffolding with a much stronger impact, causing you to stumble and the small structure to shake. Keigo gripped the guardrail in an attempt to keep his balance.

"Woah! Jeez, take it easy, Crash!"

You snickered. "Sorry, Kei. I guess I'm just a bit excited is all." You shut your eyes as you breathed in the crisp night air, its cool touch soothing the dull throb in your chest. Using your quirk for prolonged periods of time was nothing new to you, but the liberty of being able to free-fly with one of your best childhood friends had you unwittingly pushing it into overdrive. As you opened your eyes again, you were enchanted by the dim lights of the city that speckled the landscape. Though there was likely some kind of night-life in the streets below, it was quiet up on your perch. "How do you hear if there's trouble from up here?" You asked.

"My feathers are a bit more sensitive to vibrations than my ears are, so picking up sound isn't so hard even if we are fifty stories up." He said it as though it were the most simple thing in the world. You blinked at him, wondering if he heard himself talk sometimes. You let out a sigh and shook your head with a smile. "I see how you've become Japan's number two so quickly. You really are amazing, aren't you?"

Keigo shrugged. "Eh, I don't think it's all that impressive. Besides, it's just my job, right?" You couldn't quite tell if he was just being humble, or if he really didn't think so highly of himself. Facing the horizon once again, you came to a sudden realization. "We've never flown together, have we?"

"Nope. You were too busy crashing to keep up." He teased. 

You pouted. "We have literally spent the last hour soaring around town together without a single mishap. Seriously, Dodo, what's it gonna take for you to see I know what I'm doing now?" Honestly, you should have been used to him kidding with you by now. Perhaps it was all the time you two had spent apart or the fact that he had no viable reason for doing it anymore, but his teasing was starting to bug you a bit. Keigo didn't bother to look at you as he responded. "Beat me in a real race, then we'll talk." He glanced at you from the side with a smug grin.

'Oh, he did not just challenge me like that.' You gave him a blank glare, hoping that that would get your point across. It seemed, however, instead of taking the hint, Keigo was hell-bent on getting under your skin. He turned his eyes away from you again. "I mean, if you can manage to fly straight, that is." His subtle smile and self-satisfied demeanor made your pride feel as though it had been dragged across asphalt.

'Alright, that's it.' You hopped up onto the railing in front of you and briefly scanned the city below. Then, without warning, you jumped. Facing straight down, you allowed your body to freefall for a moment before shifting your angle up a bit and rocketing between the buildings. Using the momentum you had already built up from a fall or some other kind of accelerative action meant you didn't have to use your quirk to speed yourself up as much; however, regardless of how you achieved them, high velocities gave you less control and made last-second maneuvers slightly more difficult. Though you had learned to manage high-speed flight fairly well, you, like everyone else, were not perfect. You had to pay attention to where you were going and at the moment, you were more focused on showing off.