Part VII: Visitor

"You really should learn to close your windows, little hero."

The low rumble of the mysterious voice left you frozen. You slowly turned your head to the opposite side of the room. It was then that you realized why it was darker than before: someone had pulled down the horizontal blinds. You felt the color drain from your face and the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Your eyes were wide as you attempted to make out who it was lurking in the dark. As they adjusted to the black room, the shadowy outline of a man's figure came into view beside the dresser.

"You could let in a draft."

You recognized that voice. It was time to shoot first and ask questions later. You sped towards him, using your quirk to flip on the desk lamp as you did. You balled up his black coat firmly in your fists and slammed his back into the corner. His scarred face came clearly into view as the light illuminated the room.

"What the hell are you doing here?" You spat venomously. Dabi chuckled. His blue eyes bore into your own as he spoke.

"Now that I'm thinking about it, it is pretty chilly in here. Need me to warm up the bed for you?" He grinned salaciously.

"How'd you know where I was?"

"Or I could warm you up myself if you want." What was with this guy?

"Answer the damn question." You snarled, pressing a knee threateningly against his crotch.

His smile waned slightly as he tensed at the sensation. "Come on, now. I thought we were buddies." Nervousness tinted his cocky voice.

You pressed him further into the wall, returning his gaze with a potent scowl. "I don't know what your deal is with Hawks, but I am not your 'buddy.'"

"Ah, yes, you and Hawks. The childhood friends." He mocked.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't take you down right now." You growled, barely letting Dabi finish his sentence.

"Now why would you want to do that?" He asked coyly. His cordial tone was getting on your nerves.

"You don't think I could?" Your face held a deadly seriousness as you summoned a knife from your belt and pointed it at his face.

"Oh, I don't doubt it. I'm not really all that strong." He averted his eyes and looked around your room curiously. "This is a nice little place you've got here. Real quaint. Didn't have much time to look around before you showed up. I'd love a tour."

Your stare never wavered. "Do I look like an idiot to you?"

"Are you always this welcoming to visitors?" He asked, eyeing the knife that was directed at his head.

"Only the unwelcome ones." You unconsciously eased your grip. He didn't seem like a danger at the moment. "You break in here and have the nerve to call yourself a 'visitor?'"

Dabi smiled slyly at you. "You're the one who left the window open. I took it as an invitation." He began looking around the room again. "Man, they got you in an office? That sucks. Pretty terrible hosts if you ask me."

"Don't change the subject." You snapped.

Dabi sighed, reluctantly giving in to your nagging. "I think if you wanted to bring me in..." He gently took hold of your forearms and moved them away. Without thinking, you released his shirt. "...you would have done it by now, but I am curious. Why aren't you?" He asked calmly.

You gulped. He wasn't attacking you and, despite letting himself into your room, he wasn't even making an effort to seem like the bad guy. Was that why you were hesitating? It could have been that you had no idea what his crime really was. You were sure they'd covered it during the briefing, but you hadn't been focused enough to get the information. The confession came before you could stop it.