Part VI: Speeding Tickets & Retail Therapy

You woke with a start to the sound of a blaring alarm beside you. Your head whipped around, eyes landing on the desk where your phone was vibrating violently against the wooden surface. As if the full-volume siren wasn't enough, this thing was like a jackhammer the way it shimmied across the table. You groaned sleepily, rubbing your eyes to clear your vision. Sunlight now streamed into the room through the uncovered window.

'What time is it?'

Since these alarms were likely set by Stiller, you doubted they accounted for jet lag. A light thunk sounded from the floor beside you as your phone fell from the desk onto the carpet. You let out a deep sigh and stared up at the ceiling, phone still buzzing on the floor. You were well aware that you had gotten enough sleep in the last 24 hours, yet you still couldn't bring yourself to get up.

BUZZ-BUZZ

Your watch now also called for your attention. Lifting your arm above your face, you tapped the display to read the incoming message:

'Wake up.'

"Are you fucking serious?" You growled. You plopped your arm back onto the sheets, using the opposite hand to wipe your face in an exasperated fashion. Stiller hadn't sent you a wake-up call via watch in years. Why did he feel so compelled to do it now? That man would be the death of you. You summoned the strength to roll over and retrieve your cell. It practically made your entire arm shake as you picked it up and shut off the alarm.

'6:30 AM' it read.

At least there was plenty of time to get ready. You glanced at the red battery symbol in the top corner of the screen.

'Shit, I forgot to charge it.' This cellphone thing was going to take some getting used to.

You glanced over at the dresser on the other end of the room where your charger lay. Feeling too lazy to walk the seven feet to grab it, you used your quirk to bring it to you. The black box sped across the room, stopping when it met your palm. The cord that was attached to it, however, continued forward to smack you in the face with the rest of its built-up momentum. You flinched at the sudden, stinging pain in your cheek.

"Ye-up, that one's on me." You mumbled as you reached over to plug the charger into the outlet beside the bed. Stiller had given you a generous two hours before you had to be at the training facility, but you still had no idea where that was; you'd need time to find it. You also had to stop for breakfast somewhere and for that, your phone had to be charged, but you would also need it to use the map, and now that you were thinking about it, you probably needed to find a place to bathe, and hey, there's not anyone in the offices yet, is there?

"God, brain, please just shut up for five minutes." Your head was too full of thoughts. Keeping track of tasks mentally wasn't usually a chore, but doing all of this on your own in an unfamiliar setting was going to take some adjusting. Usually, by now, you'd be heading to the bathroom to shower, then to the cafeteria, and finally to wherever Stiller needed you to be. Except for the shower, this was essentially the same. You glanced down at your hero costume that still lay on the floor, unsure if you should wear it. You did wear it all day yesterday, no doubt it soaked up some sweat. Your face went sour at the thought, but it didn't seem like there was much choice. You opted to bring it in the case but would wear something else for training. Hopping up from your bed, you used your quirk again to summon the hairbrush, toothbrush, and toothpaste from the dresser. You turned back to your untidy bed, telekinetically hovering the mattress above the frame and tucking the sheets tightly underneath before gently replacing it and heading for the door.

Just as you suspected, it looked like the building was empty. It was likely that it was still too early for anyone to be at work. That was just fine with you. It was probably best that no one saw you brushing your teeth in the shared restrooms while wearing your nightclothes. It felt awkward passing by the lobby on your way to the bathroom.