Flashback IV: Promise

"He-hey! Alright, I'm not late this time." You heard Keigo's chipper voice call from down the hall. He waved at you and Touya excitedly, lowering his flashlight courteously. It was another night in the classroom for the three friends, and, for once, you'd all managed to arrive at the same time. You gave your feathered friend a broad grin and began to use your quirk to set up your crude stairs. Keigo was the first up, disregarding your handiwork and flapping his wings quickly to get through the small gap between the two floors. Touya followed just behind him, using the stack you'd made to get in. The light of his fire moving in front of the desks cast dark shadows on the wall behind them. As Touya disappeared into the classroom, so, too, did his light, leaving you to feel around in the dark hallway alone. You managed to locate the top of one of the desks, and ran a hand over the smooth wooden surface. You were hesitating.

"I don't need this." You grumbled to yourself. Taking hold of one of the metal bars, you yanked the pile away from the entrance. All at once, the stack of desks came tumbling down. Echoes of bangs and clangs reverberated off the walls in the empty corridor.

"Woah! Yo, Touya- not cool, man. They still gotta..." You heard Keigo's voice immediately begin to protest, but he was quickly cut off.

"It wasn't me, idiot!" Touya snapped. "(Y/N), are you okay?" The white-haired boy called down to you.

You steadied yourself, bending your knees. You squinted as you stared up at the hole in the ceiling; it was difficult to make out in the dim light.

'Here's hoping I don't crash...' You silently joked. With one big leap, you activated your quirk to send you flying through the ceiling. You felt the tension release in your muscles as you managed to keep yourself from knocking into the edge of the entrance. The pride you felt in that moment, however, was fleeting. As soon as your body relaxed, so, too, did your quirk.

"Ah!" The two boys exclaimed as you popped up. Your head and shoulders had just barely made it into the room when you felt your body decelerate.

"Crap!" You swore, feeling the force of gravity pull you back down. Quickly as he could, Touya leaned forward and hooked his arms underneath your shoulders. With a grunt, he began hoisting you up. Once you were able to get your arms onto the floor above, you helped get yourself in. Touya maintained his grip on your arm as you swung your leg over. You panted softly, taking a knee beside your friend.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Pfft, you almost fell back down." Keigo laughed. Apparently, he found the situation amusing.

"You could've helped them up, you know. Aren't you the one with the strong magic feathers?" Touya snapped at the jovial boy. Keigo smiled and shook his head.

"Nah, I knew it'd be fine. Besides, it all worked out, didn't it?" The blonde replied with a wink. Keigo turned around to face the massive hole in the wall that faced the street. The warm summer winds howled outside of the schoolhouse with a force strong enough to rock the scaffolding on the side of the building. Keigo's eyes lit up.

"Woah! It's super windy tonight!" He yelled excitedly as he jogged to the edge of the scaffolding, leaving his two buddies behind.

"Hey, dude!" Touya called out to Keigo, but it was too late. Without any hesitation, the boy opened his red wings and leapt into the gales. Touya lowered and shook his head.

"Don't even bother. He's excited; I say let him have his fun." You said.

"This guy, I swear. You okay, Y/N?" Touya repeated. You nodded, placing your hand over his.

"Yeah. I'm sorry about that, I thought I could make it." You said, disappointment clear in your tone.

"Don't apologize, I'm just glad you didn't fall." Touya said as he helped you to your feet. The two of you headed over to the edge of the wall to look out at the night sky. Outside, Keigo was having heaps of fun riding the strong air currents. His tongue stuck slightly out of his mouth as he concentrated hard on moving around in the harsh winds.