Flashback III: What Goes on at Home

Alrighty, this one got edited, so it's better and a little longer now! Enjoy~

___

You panted as you made your way through the familiar hall. The light you'd taken from the lamp in your room shined brightly beside you. Though you'd been practicing non-stop to better handle different forms of energy, electromagnetic energy, like visible light, was the most difficult to manage. Keeping the glowing ball beside you took quite a lot of effort- it was exhausting. Still, you had to see if your friends were in the classroom. Ever since your night-light had broken, one of the boys (usually Touya, for the simple fact that he was quieter) would fetch you from your room so that you could walk together. Tonight, however, neither of them showed up. Melancholic thoughts began to sink in.

'They wouldn't've forgot about me, right? Okay, maybe Keigo would... but not Touya! ...right?'

You were approaching the caved-in entrance. The muscles in your arms and back strained as you struggled to keep the light from dissipating. As you got closer, you noticed that the desks, which were usually stacked into makeshift stairs, had been knocked over. Was it like that the last time you left? You felt your heart sink. Had neither of them made it? Standing directly underneath the hole, you allowed your light to die. There was a miniscule amount of relief as you let it go, but your muscles still felt as though you'd undergone an intense workout. You reached your arms over your head to feel around for the wall as you used your quirk to lift yourself into the room. Light from the moon and street lamps outside shone softly on your face as you entered.

"Touya? Kei?" You whispered just loud enough for anyone in the room to hear. There was no answer. You shakily raised yourself higher and gently landed on the floor. Though you hadn't been able to fly any straighter during training, you'd managed to gain more stability while using your quirk for mundane things like floating. To your surprise, someone was sitting on the scaffolding just outside of the crumbled wall. His back was to you, and the hood of his white jacket was pulled up over his head

"Touya? Is that you?" You called noting the absence of wings. "Hey, we missed you at lunch... and dinner. Is everything... okay?" You were put off by his initial unresponsive nature, but stepped closer. He eventually spoke when you were standing just a couple of feet behind him.

"Sorry I didn't come get you." He said plainly. You waited for him to continue; maybe give some kind of explanation, but he did not. The silence hung in the air. 'Awkward' was never something you'd felt around Touya before, but the feeling was growing stronger by the minute. After a few eternal moments, you spoke up:

"That's okay. I found my way here..."

Touya turned to look at you curiously. "Oh. Kei's not with you?" He asked, eyeing the room in search of your feathered friend. He looked a little surprised, but his sad tone persisted. This wasn't anything like his usual self.

You shook your head. "No. I just brought the light from my lamp."

Touya smiled faintly and let out a small huff. "Wow, that's some great improvement. You're really strong, you know that, (Y/N)?" Again with the unhappy voice. He sounded borderline dejected. Maybe you should pry just a bit.

"Is... everything alright?" Your words came out soft and nurturing almost instinctively, but you hesitated when asking for fear you might upset him further. His mood didn't change though. Not outwardly, at least. He simply hummed in response and stared straight ahead at whatever building was across the street from the school. Feeling unconvinced, you moved to his side. You only caught a glimpse of his face before Touya turned his head away from you. Was his lip quivering? You took a seat. You were sure you understood why he was upset. You hadn't seen him during mealtimes or group training today; his overseer must have had him practicing solo. Gently, you placed your hand on his back.