Wingless Flight

Years passed, and Izuku and Katsuki now attended their last year of primary school. After five whole years of getting into fights, Katsuki was now pretty well-known throughout their district's primary and middle schools.

He had also gained two lackeys, Tsubasa and Endou, the former with a wing Quirk, and the latter with a Quirk that allowed his fingers to be lengthened, which weren't anything flashy, but they did follow every single one of the blond's commands, so they were allowed next to him.

Together, the three of them got into many fights with other students, and due to Katsuki's powerful Quirk and street smarts, he easily won against people several years older than him, even if he got several bruises in return.

Izuku always analysed Katsuki's fights secretly while hiding, and by the time their sixth year had started, he had so many notebooks on him, they covered an entire shelf on his library.

That roughly amounted to fifty notebooks.

Then, one day, Izuku was caught fleeing the scene after the fight was over, and the trio had left.

It was pure bad luck, really: the five middle schoolers weren't hurt too much, and they were standing on a rooftop due to being called to the place to fight, where teachers hardly visited. They were also very angry due to their recent loss a few minutes ago to Katsuki.

Izuku didn't retaliate as one of them grabbed him by the neck, interested in what they would do.

The boy's eyes were shining with anger and malice, and Izuku was ready to get pummeled a few times just from his facial expression.

He expected to break a few bones, bruise a few places.

What he didn't expect was for the guy to drop him off the building.

Apparently, neither did his companions, as while the greenette fell, he could hear shouting from above, and one of the boys stared down at him in horror.

Izuku looked around him as gravity pulled him. His mind was working overtime for a solution, and time seemed to have slowed down.

In his moment of clarity, Izuku felt his heartbeat against his ears. It was fast, faster than he had ever felt, and he could feel his body trembling slightly as it did so.

Hmm, he thought. This must be the adrenaline.

He had never felt this rush before. This rush, which made him feel so alive.

He ignored the air whistling against his ears, and the voice in his head telling him he was seconds away from his ultimate demise as he got closer and closer to the ground, searching for a solution to survive.

He never even noticed the manic grin on his face as his hands moved forward on reflex, and he felt his fall stop suddenly, his shoulders being yanked from their sockets painfully, and palms scraping against the window still they were connected to.

He was suddenly halted, body slamming into the wall, upper limbs in agonizing pain, but that wasn't important right now.

Izuku had realised that he felt wonderful; the rush he felt, the slight fear on the back of his mind that kept warning him that his fall would be fatal, and the sweet trembling in his body from the result of it.

He noted dreamily that he was laughing.

He had never felt so alive.

He didn't want this moment to end.

{}

It took him a few minutes to gain his composure, and realize he was still hanging on a window on the second floor of a building like Spiderman, a superhero from a pre-Quirk era comic he had had the chance to read at a comic book shop that sold old comics.

Searching for a way down, he noted that the window was locked, and the only way down was by jumping unless he wanted to damage school property.

He had no problem with property damage, but he'd rather not pay for the window or cut himself from the shards.

So, keeping in his mind to 'tuck and roll', he let go of his hands, and landed on the ground in less than a second, doing a clumsy roll that resulted in him scraping his back, but was otherwise fine.

He laid down for a while, starting up into the sky, and started chuckling, the disbelief catching up to him.

He had just fallen from a seven-storey building, and survived, with only a couple of scrapes and bruises, alongside an ache in his shoulders.

Izuku had never even imagined such a thing happening to him, but it had.

And it had been an exhilarating experience.

It had also been something he would like to experience again.

And wasn't that ridiculous: he wanted to try something that could have easily killed him.

But logic didn't apply to the feeling he had felt for those few seconds.

And so, Midoriya Izuku decided that he would learn how to jump from rooftop to rooftop.

If his mother heard this, she would have a heart attack.

But, well, Izuku had already created a toast machine that could shoot homing knives.

This wasn't that much different, right?