FOUR

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ .·:·.*═══╗

FOUR
viva la vida
i used to rule the world
seas would rise when i gave the word
now in the morning i sleep alone
sweep the streets i used to own

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ .·:·.*═══╝

s2e3

THE NIGHTMARES NEVER STOPPED. Even years later, long after the events of her past are done and over with, her sleep is still plagued by the trauma. She'd long accepted that she won't ever escape them.

Stefan hovers outside of her bedroom door, ready to wake her up, but hesitates upon seeing her toss and turn and hearing her mutter in her sleep. "Rebekah, no! Marcel... run... he's going to catch you..."

He takes a step closer, accidentally standing on a creaky floorboard, causing Violet to shoot up immediately, her eyes wide in alert, until she sees Stefan and sits back down in relaxation, giving him an uneasy smile.

He smiles back, taking a seat at the edge of the bed. "Are you okay? You were kicking and talking in your sleep. And who are Rebekah and Marcel?" Stefan questions. "You were talking about them in your dream."

"Sorry, yeah, I'm okay." Violet smiles, trying desperately to hide the tears pricking in the corner of her eyes. "They were just... just some people from my past."

"You know, I know very little of your past." Stefan muses. "Were you close to them?"

"Yes." She says, hopping out of bed and running past him to ignore the tears falling from her eyes. She hated lying to him, and wished so desperately to tell him that he too, knew Rebekah. The guilt and burden of the 20s weighs heavily on her. "They were my family."

═══*.·:·.☽✧ .·:·.*═══

Forty minutes and one eavesdropped conversation later, Violet has invited herself onto the trip to Duke. She waits outside the car with an impatient Damon as Stefan and Elena get ready inside the Gilbert house and Alaric talks with his girlfriend-but-not-girlfriend.

"I still don't understand why you've got to come with us." Damon complains. "We're perfectly fine on our own here."

"Two men with underage Elena Gilbert? Already a red flag. Her trying to look for information on her biological family and on werewolves? Still nothing I trust you two with." Violet replies.

"Fair point." Damon shrugs. "You know," He says, turning to Violet. "We've never actually asked you what you know on werewolves. Surely, you're bound to know something."

"I don't know all that much." Violet answers, avoiding his gaze. "I know that they're real. And that their bite kills, but not much else."

Damon just nods, turning his attention to Stefan and Elena who are walking out of the house. "Sorry you can't come too, Stef." He teases.

Elena glares at him and Stefan turns to her. "Call me if you need anything.""Oh, I'll take really good care of her." Damon says.

Elena grabs Stefan by the neck and kisses him, and he kisses her back, trying to make him jealous. Violet just smiles and hops into the backseat of the car, closely followed by Elena.

═══*.·:·.☽✧ .·:·.*═══

An hour into the trip, and less than a handful of words had been said between the four of them. The tension was so thick it could be cut with a knife. Violet sits beside Elena in the backseat, reading her book quietly.