Chapter 8

Jesus christ I'm finally updating
It's been a while
Time really slipped away from me.
Anyways, I'll try to start writing again more often, so thank you to the people who read this story for sticking around, it's honestly really heartwarming that even one person reads my dumb story about video game characters.
Thank you, and I hope you enjoy.

Three and Five walked together through Octo canyon, following along their patrol route towards their destination.
Five's mind was clear, focusing ahead on the mission.
Three's mind however, was a mess.
He was contemplating what to do, and was unsure.

Now that he was with Five, he was back to questioning whether she cared or not, whether she actually did feel bad or not, how to bring this up to her, what might happen if he does it well, what might happen if he doesn't do it well, overall just lots and lots of questions he didn't know the answer to.

"Three. Hey. We're here." Five said, waving a hand in front of his head.
"O-Oh. Sorry" He responded. "Let's go."

He hopped through the grate, and landed in the area, with Five following a second later.

They advanced through the area, not seeing much, except for the occasional crate. They moved forward, all the way until reaching the empty zapfish holder at the end.

Five sighed. "Well, there doesn't seem to have been anything here after all."
"Yeah..." Three said, his mind still astray.
"Hey. You good? You've been all distant." Five asked, looking at him questioningly.

"Yeah, I'm fine, sorry..." He replied.
She shrugged. "Whatever you say."

Small time skip

They both hopped back out of the grate, as Five yawned and Three sighed.

"Well, I'm gonna head home then."
Five said. She started to walk away, but stopped and turned back as Three was just standing there.

His eyes darted around. Something felt off. He felt like he heard something, but couldn't identify what it was or where it was coming from.
Then out of the corner of his eye he caught a glimpse of it, and immediately dove, pushing Five out of the way and onto the ground as a tenta missile combusted against the ground where he had stood.

She grunted as they hit the ground, and looked up at him, confused.
"I knew it! C'mon!" He said, getting up from on top of Five and pulling her up.
They ran to cover and got down, seeing enemy ink spray around them.

They both pulled out their weapons and peered out from cover.

"I see 4 Octotroopers, 2 twintacles," Three started.
"An Octosniper and an Octoling with tenta missiles." Five finished.

"I'll distract the Octosniper and take out the twintacles, and then go for the Octoling. You take out the sniper while I'm distracting it, then take out the troopers." Three said, getting ready to take action.

"Sounds good. On three."
"One..."
"Two..."
"Three!"
They rolled out from cover and dashed into the conflict.

Three took a few shots at the Octosniper to get its attention, and then slid past one of the twintacles, shooting in the back and splatting it.
"One down." He said, jumping out of the way of a sniper shot. He made the other Twintacle jump by throwing a bomb and then shooting while it was distracted.

He looked over and saw Five gun the Octosniper down, and then turn to shoot at the Octotroopers.
He went to turn, but instead was tackled by the Octoling.

He hit the ground, the Octoling on top of him. He threw her off of him and got up, jumping back, Five ran up behind the Octo and shot, hitting but not splatting. He turned and swung a burst bomb, hitting the Octo and finishing the job.

He stood there for a second, the broken shell of the burst bomb hanging from his hand.

"Damn.... That's was really satisfying." He said to himself.

He turned around, and saw five dusting herself off. They then started walking back to back to base.

"How could you tell those tenta missiles were coming? There was no targeting ring." Five asked.

"There's a very faint sound, it's easy to miss. The only reason I could hear it was because it was dead quiet other wise." He explained.
"I'm surprised I heard it myse-"
His foot slipped, and he lost his balance, slipping off the platform.

Five dove down and grabbed him before he completely fell, holding him from falling.

They stared at each other for a minute, both dangling before a deep canyon.
She then pulled him back up, stepping back so he could have room to climb back up.

He stood up, and looked at her, surprised.
He honestly wasn't expecting her to catch him.
Deep down he thought she couldn't care less what happened to him.

She looked away.

"Thank you...." He said.

She didn't respond, but slightly nodded, giving a thumbs up.

By instinct, he pulled her into a hug.
At first she was apprehensive, but soon returned the gesture.

They stood there for a bit, before pulling away and continuing the walk back to base in silence.

Small time skip

They sat on the couch back at tentakeel outpost, still in silence.

Three was trying to think of something to say.

"Hey, um... I'm sorry if that hug was uncomfortable, I just kinda went for it.... I don't know why, but I just did. I mean, it was nice- Not like that! Just, I guess it was a nice gesture to me, but it might have been weird for you. Or maybe not, I don't know, it's one of those things that are just like-"

He was more or less just babbling on by now.

She sighed, and put a finger on his lips, making him immediately freeze.
"Stop talking, your ruining the mood."
She stated simply, before leaning against him.

He just kind of sat there confused, not know what to do.
He just stared ahead with a blank expression for a moment before reluctantly asking what was up.

"*Sigh*, I'm not going to hit you dumbass." She said.

"That's reassuring..." He said in a witty tone.

Her lip seemed to move a bit, and she looked like she was contemplating something, before she spoke.
"I guess now would be the time to just say it. I'm sorry. I know I've been an ass, I'm not the best at properly conveying emotions. I don't have anything against you, I'm just getting over some issues with myself and in turn it made me look at you negatively." She told him.

He took it in and replied, "I see. It's okay, thank you for telling me. I'm glad you don't dislike me. I hope that whatever you're dealing with turns out okay."

They sat together there for a while longer.

Time skip because yeah

Three stepped back into his apartment, closing the door behind him. He walked into his bedroom and flopped down on his bed, his mind still clouded by his interaction with five.

"Well, I guess she isn't a heartless after all," he thought. "Well, the world is full of surprises."

He glanced over at the clock.

2:47 pm. He didn't really want to do turf today, and a grizzco shift didn't sound super appealing either.

After a few minutes of thinking, he decided he'll just watch memes for an hour or two.

Thank you for reading and for being patient, it has been quite a while.
Happy Halloween, ik I didn't make a special chapter for it, but I will definitely make one for Christmas, so be ready for that.
See ya guys next chapter, stay fresh.

Nov 1, 1:12 am.

1293 words.