Unable To Hold On

I felt as if somebody just splashed a bucket of cold water on me, I gasped in shock as the light illuminated the heavily tattoed man louging casually on my couch.

"What are you doing here?"

He put the book down and slowly advanced towards me. "Let me guess... I am waiting for a very naughty kitten that did not go to school yet came back wearing a school uniform three hours late."

"I. ..uhh.." I bit my lip as my mind reached a dead end. He tilted his head aside and said"Never mind that now. You need to take a bath." He stepped away from me."Or do you want me to do the honors?"

"No!"I cried, and hurried to my bedroom with shaky legs.

By the time the shower was running, Uta-san is in the kitchen, preparing dinner for me. I dare not to guess what gourmet feast he is cooking up; I was too busy thinking of a liable excuse to his question. He was sure to pounce on me in the most unsuspecting moments.

I slipped on a clean towel and hurried back to my room, not wanting him to see me in my half-naked state.

When I went into the small kitchen, I caught a delicious waft of cooking eggs and cheese. He is already sitting on the table reading...newspaper.

"So," I said, towelling my hair dry,"What have the chef prepared for my dinner?"

He pushed the plate of omelette blankly towards me.

"Oh, that looks delicious!"I cried.

From the corner of my eye, I caught his less-than-pleased expression on his blank face.

I sat down and tucked in my special made omelette, which is a perfect golden yellow with seasonings folded with cubes of tomatoes and molten cheese.

The still expressionless ghoul sat in front of me scrunitising my every move, making me extremely nervous and self conscious. The way he looked at me made me felt as if I had left out something important. Somehow, I felt very uncomfortable and took small bites of my omelette guiltily.

Halfway through my tenth (small) bites, he leaned forward and said," I am sure you don't want to finish it all. After all,  you are still full from all that sweet bean cakes."

My head snapped up so fast I think I cricked my neck. I swallowed quickly, my heart pounding in my ears and said "What do you mean?"

"Hmmm..." he took the fork from my frozen hand and stabbed the half-finished omelette moodily. And then he fed me a piece, which I had trouble swallowing down.

"You came in here like a guilty kitten that had stolen a goldfish from the fishbowl. The crumbs of sweet bean cakes were all over your mouth and your school uniform."

He force another piece of overlarge omelette in my mouth. Rather than being romantic, I felt I was being cross-examined and tortured, the expression on Uta-san's face looks like he was feeding me truth - serum with every piece of omelette.

"So, tell me, where and who did you went with to your romantic date?" I gulp down a mouthful of warm eggs and burned my throat, gasping, "Date?"

But then again, this is a wonderful oppurtunity to lie."Oh yes, with a very handsome man. "

"Is it? How interesting."

He stayed silent through the whole night while I went around the house doing my chores. By the time I switch off the lights and climbed up to bed, I can practically feel the impending doom that hovers before me.

I lay on my pillows and stared up the ceiling. The only sound is the almost simultanous beating of our heart. The tense silence was so strong I think I might choke from it, so I decided to break the heavy silence.