Chapter 7

Virgil rolled up Deceit's sleeve, careful not to wake him up. He couldn't believe his eyes. The cuts that littered the others' arm was a sight he didn't expect to see, nor did he want to see. Not only was the sight unsettling, but the fact that Deceit would do this to himself was just... Virgil couldn't describe it. One of them was bleeding, and Virgil's fight or flight reflex went off. He got bandages and quickly, but carefully, bandaged Deceit's arm. He put the sleeve down and carefully picked up Deceit's other arm, to find it littered in cuts as well. He did the same procedure. Now Virgil had to figure something else out. What did he use to cut himself and where was it. A glimmer in the room gave him answers to both of those. He picked up the blade, and decided that he would have to hide it.
               Virgil found a good place to hide it, one that he figured Deceit wouldn't find. He then had to ask himself "why?". Why did Deceit do this? It was obvious that there was some thoughts and emotions that lead to these spirals with Deceit. He wondered how bad these things would have to get for him to bring out the blade. He just worried for him now. How bad had things gotten after he left? He stared at Deceit's peaceful face and felt like it was out of place in this situation. Virgil sighed, this was something he didn't expect.
                Virgil just felt... unsettled about this.. There was just something about it, seeing the cuts, knowing that he did it to himself.... It just didn't sit right with him. His thoughts were interrupted by a shift and a yawn near him. He looked over to see a tired Deceit rubbing his eyes. Before he could say anything, the other's head was on his shoulders. Deceit's eyes were closed once more, not asleep, but close to being. It was strange to Virgil to see this sleepy Deceit. It felt like every defensive part of Deceit was shut off, and this is what was left. In any other situation, he would dare say it was calming. Deceit seemed to doze off and go back to sleep, on Virgil's shoulder this time.
                 Virgil didn't know what to do. He was still trying to process what he saw, and now Deceit was on his shoulder so going anywhere was not an option. He just contemplated things, as there wasn't much else to do. As he was doing this, he felt something shaking. He looked over to see that, in fact, it was Deceit. He was shaking, and seemed to be having a nightmare. Virgil was about to wake him up, but he woke up anyways. He quickly backed away from Virgil, struggling to breathe and tears rolling down his face. Virgil, again, had never seen Deceit like this. Guess there was a lot of sides to the other side that he had never seen. He tried to slowly approach him.
               "Hey, it's ok.." Deceit just shut his eyes and Virgil's worry increased. "It's fine, it's just me.." Virgil said, staying where he was as to not scare the other. Deceit's breathing still wasn't all that good, so Virgil decided to use a technique on him. "Hey, listen to me" He seemed to get the others' attention. "I'm gonna help you. Do as I say, ok?" Deceit just nodded. "Breathe in for 4 seconds." Deceit did as he said. "Hold it for 7 seconds" Deceit did just that, and Virgil gave him a smile. "Breathe out for 8 seconds." They repeated this cycle until they got it evened. "Are you ok?" Deceit seemed to stare at Virgil, then at the bed. Virgil knew the answer.
                "Are you at least calmer now?" Virgil asked, and Deceit simply gave a nod. "Can you tell me what it was about? Or is that too much?" Deceit seemed to look away for a second. Virgil didn't expect him to say anything, but then, Deceit mumbled something
                "it.... it was about you leaving...." Virgil remembered that. He was a bit harsh with his words when he left. Remus didn't even get a goodbye. Deceit was the only one who saw him leave. "it.... it hurt..... watching the whole thing happen again..... watching you leave again." Virgil could remember. Deceit mostly stood there in shock and... fear.. and when Virgil was about to cross that line, Deceit desperately tried to get him to stay.
              "Sorry about that.... I was a bit harsh..." Virgil said while Deceit simply looked away. "I just felt like if I was with you and Remus, I couldn't hang with the light sides. That I could either be friends with you or be the light sides and lose you guys completely. Once I got there I realized that it was kind of the other way around as well. Light sides weren't supposed to be friends with dark sides. Of course we all know that that's BS now." Deceit looked back at Virgil and nodded, smiling a bit at that last sentence. "You seemed so scared of me leaving...." Virgil added on.
                "I was..." Deceit responded. "Lord knows I was... I was afraid of you leaving... And... Ah f*ck I'd have to tell you a secret to say this...." Virgil was curious. Deceit sighed. "Ok are you ready for a story?" Before Virgil could say anything Deceit responded. "Too bad, you're hearing it anyways." Virgil almost laughed at that. "Ok. So just something to say, Patton wasn't the first side to be Thomas's morality." Virgil was confused. What did he mean by that? "Basically I used to be morality." Virgil was surprised at this. "Yeah, yeah, I know, big shocker. It used to only be me, Logan, and the fused creativity. I think his name was Romulus. Anyways, the dark side was an unexplored area at that time, no one lived in it. Romulus told me he found a cool space in the mindscape, and me being the naive idiot I was, I followed him. He told me we were going to play a game. The game was for me to stay in the dark side for as long as I could.." Virgil could already see where this was going. "He told me to stay put and that he'd come back later. He then left, while I stayed there. Since I was over there, no one knew where I was, Except for Romulus of course, and as a result, Thomas accidentally created a new side to be morality. I got given the new role of Deceit, and I was curious as to why. Plus, I was getting restless, just standing here. While I had been waiting in the dark side, my scales started to appear. I found my way over to the light side, hiding behind a wall to see what had happened. I found out that I had been replaced as morality by Patton, and he had become friends with everyone. I had been replaced.. I ran back over to the dark side, crying as I had to accept my fate. I changed my appearance to more fit the part, as my original outfit looked very much innocent and a light side. I decided that this area would be my new home, and that I was now a different type of side." Deceit said, concluding his story. Virgil didn't know what to think about it. Man, Romulus was brutal. Virgil was glad they split. "The reason I told you this, was because, when you left, I was afraid of being abandoned again. I guess you could say I had a flashback back to that time and felt like I was in too similar of a situation, and therefore, the outcome would be the same..." Virgil just gave Deceit a hug. He was a bit startled at first, but hugged back.

     Man, Deceit had been through some sh*t