Forest Acid

Everyone was on edge,you could taste it in the air. Sitting in a circle, everyone muttered among themselves until the captain spoke up.

"Unfortunately, there has been another death,Yoza fell from the cliff near the crystal patch," the captain said.

"That's the second death! Is it really safe for us to be here anymore?" Gochi asked,toying with her hair.

"Well have to wait to send a message back,Yoza was our engineer and Zyban isn't mentally stable at the moment so we'll have to wait" she said,turning to you,you narrowed your eyes back at her,"this wouldn't have happened if you'd just-"

"Its not my fault that he 'fell' captain,dont try and blame his death on me" you crossed your arms,"humans are all the same,everytime something bad happens you try and find a scapegoat" Karz was right about that when it can to humans.

"Because she specifically told you not to go! And now look! Someone else is dead!" Gardna snapped,pushing her glasses back up on her face. She'd been crying as well.

'how pathetic' you thought with a coldness that wasn't yours and crossed your legs and arms,"and that's my fault?" You asked,wondering where Karz had vanished off too.

"S-so what do we do?"

"We-" you cut the captain off.

"You know I've been thinking about something,when I went down there to get his body I noticed something about Yozas body," you stood and moved over to the body when Captain stopped you with an strong,almost brutal grip on your wrist,challenging you. You snatched it away and unzipped the body and pointed to the twisted neck,"Why is his neck broken?"

"You have no shame," Gardna hissed, but she had to agree with you that his neck was indeed broken.

"___! Please! Close it!" Mochi cried out,she looked pale. Neither of the girls was used to seeing bodies

"This is my question, and I'd been thinking about this since Kaizo died. What if these were murders?"

"W-what are you suggesting!? That there's a murderer among us?!" Captain snapped,"I will not have that kind of toxic mentality on my team!"

"Oh shut up,you can't even get me to leave!" You snapped,"think about it. If Yoza fell to his death, then why does he have a broken neck?"

"The crystals probably twisted it on the way down,Mochi go check on Zyban for me." The Hawaiian girl nodded and left for the tent Zyban was currently getting over his panick attack.

"No, that couldn't have happened because I was the one who dragged him out, so that begs the question. Who broke his neck?"

No one said anything.

"This isn't to make you all uncomfortable,its so that if I am correct and there really is murdered among us then we cannot allow ourselves to fall pray to them" you stood up and fiddled with Qu,"I suggest staying in groups of three or more...but then again...we don't know how many there are" you pulled up the notes on Qu,leaving the group behind to mutter amongstthemselves. You needed to get more samples of those silver peas up on top of the trees.

You braved the shadowy forest and hoped that Karz would come back from wherever he'd been at. You climbed over the rotting tree and jumped when a body landed next to you,"what are you doing? Do you not understand how dangerous these woods are?" He asked. He seemed a bit banged up,like he'd gotten into a fight or something.

"Karz? Are you ok?" You slipped into 'worried wife' mode and motioned for him to lean down so you could examine his face more,"I'v never seen you so roughed up!" He was covered in acid! "Oh my god! What happened!?" You sat him down and started digging for acid cream.