Our Time is Up

Chapter Summary

Jimin is running out of time.

-----

Pressed up against Jungkook's chest, Jimin feels more comfortable than he should be. Deep down, he knows he shouldn't be here, that it isn't his place to be the one all tangled up on Jungkook's large bed. But the warmth of Jungkook's body is too tempting and his sweet words even more so, even though they are not meant for Jimin.

"You're an angel Tae, for sticking around with me." Jungkook mumbles with his eyes closed.

"Angel? I'm far from that, Kookie." Jimin says although the end of his lips are bending up into a smile.

"It must have it hurt right?" Jungkook asks out of nowhere.

Oh, wait. This sounds like the start of some cheesy pick up line, Jimin thinks.

"What...when I fell down from heaven?" Jimin praises himself for being so quick witted.

"No. When you fell for me." Jungkook says with a chuckle.

"OH MY GOD, JEON JUNG KOOK. GET OUT." Jimin lifts up his head from Jungkook's chest to let out a groan. This only throws Jungkook into a laughing fit and Jimin ends up giggling himself. Gradually coming down from the effect of Jungkook's cringe worthy line, Jimin realizes that the joke is indeed, too close to the truth.

Faliing for you...it definitely hurts.

"I don't think I'd make it without you, babe. All the anxiety, the frustration, the depression. I'd probably be dead on the street somewhere right now if it wasn't for you." Jungkook confesses. There is a stillness in the air. "I've always loved you but...I've never loved you like I love you now. I don't just want you, I need you." Jungkook nuzzles his nose into Jimin's hairline, his lips grazing Jimin's forehead. "What would I do without your love..."

As Jungkook falls into a deep sleep, Jimin lays awake in the arms of the younger.

This is not gonna do. I can't trick Jungkook forever. I can't keep stealing his affection like this. Taehyung. I need to talk to Taehyung.

Jimin returns to his house early the next morning but not before he rearranged Jungkook's entire apartment. He got rid of all unnecessary objects laying on the ground, replaced the glass mugs with plastic ones and taped up all sharp corners in the house. After whipping up a simple breakfast and brewing some coffee, Jimin leaves, promising to come back later in the evening. Since Jungkook can no longer use his old phone with his new disability he has no way of contacting anyone. So Jimin makes a mental note to stop by often until he can get Jungkook a more suitable communication device.

Coming back to his house, Jimin is surprised to find Taehyung already up.

"Hey Jiminie. Did you stay out last night? That's rare." Taehyung comments from the floor where he is engaged in a game, the remote control in his hand.

"Taehyung. What are you gonna do about Jungkook?" Jimin stares down at his twin. Receiving no answer, he reaches over to turn off the TV screen. "Answer me."

Taehyung puts down the game controller with a heavy sigh. "I thought we discussed this."

"What. Are you really planning on avoiding him for the rest of your life?" Jimin asks incredulously.

The look of guilt on Taehyung's face is unmistakable. "It's not like he's even looking for me." He says, as if that justifies anything.

"What if Jungkook does come looking for you?"
Taehyung doesn't reply for a while. "I don't know. If that time comes, I guess I'll just...I'll have to turn him down."

Jimin doesn't say anything but the disapproving look in his eyes doesn't go unnoticed by Taehyung.

"Why do you care anyways? This isn't even any of your business!" Taehyung yells out in anger. He doesn't want Jimin to look at him like he's some type of scumbag even though he knows he deserves it.

Jimin cringes at his brother's icy words but he doesn't take it to heart. He knows Taehyung didn't mean it. Jimin can read Taehyung like a book and he sees that his brother still cares for Jungkook deeply. Taehyung is lying to Jimin, and even more so to himself. The only thing preventing him from going back to Jungkook is his cowardice.

"Just...don't do things you're going to regret Tae." And with that, Jimin briskly walks up the stairs and shuts the door of his room.

-----

Jimin returns to Jungkook's apartment just as the sun dips in the horizon. "Jungkookie? I'm back." Jimin sees Jungkook fumbling his way out of the bedroom.

"Hey Tae. I thought I heard the sound of keys from outside the door."

"Have you had dinner yet?" Jimin asks as he makes his way to the kitchen, putting the grocery bags on the surface of the island.

"Not yet."

"I'll fix something up for you, I stopped by the mart on my way here."

Jungkook can hear the click and clack of pans and pots. Taehyung can cook? Since when? But Jungkook is too hungry to care. "What's on the menu today?" Jungkook finds his way to one of the stool and props his arms up on the kitchen island.

"Hmm, how does kimchi jigae sound?"

"Sounds delicious." Jungkook says with a wide grin.

-----

Feeling full and satisfied, Jungkook waits in his seat as Jimin washes the dishes.

"I'm sorry you have to do everything." Jungkook says apologetically. He had offered to do the dishes but Jimin is still paranoid after the broken mug incident to let him.

Just as Jimin finishes up with wiping the last of the plates, Jungkook's ringtone goes off in the bedroom.

"I'll get it." Jimin offers as he jogs to the room to find the phone. It's a call from an unknown number. "Jungkookie, it's an unknown number, do you want to take it?" He calls out by the bed.

"Yea, do you mind taking it for me?"

Jimin slides over the accept icon and brings the phone up to his ears.

"Hello?"

"Good evening, is this Mr. Jeon Jungkook?"

"Ah, yes. This is his phone."

"We're calling from S Hospital. Thanks to the donation of a private institution, we now have an available pair of eyes if Mr. Jeon is still interested in receiving a transplant." Jimin's breath hitches as his heart skips a beat.

"Ohmygod, a -a transplant? Of course. Yes. Yes. When will it be possible?" Jimin stutters.

"Please come to the hospital tomorrow and we can discuss the details in person. There are some tests that we must run before any surgery is to be done." The voice on the other line explains.

"Yes, yes. We'll be there tomorrow's morning. Thank you so much." Jimin turns off the cell phone, his mouth agape in disbelief.

"Who was it Tae?" Jungkook stands outside his bedroom, a hand on the doorway.

"Jungkookie...you'll be able to see again." Jimin says breathlessly.

"What are you talking about?" Jungkook doesn't quite understand what Jimin is saying.

"You can get an eye transplant, Jungkook-ah! The hospital just called. We'll go and talk to them first thing tomorrow. Oh god, this is really happening. Oh god" Jimin runs up to Jungkook and hugs him tightly. Tears of joy flowing down without any restraint.

"No way...is it really true? I'll be able to see again?!" Jungkook is now shedding tears of his own. Wrapping his arms around Jimin, Jungkook laughs through his tears.

And although Jimin is ecstatic for Jungkook, there is a flicker of sadness in his heart. He knows his time with the other is almost up.