Back To The Way It Was

Chapter Summary

The title says it all.

-----

On the day of Jungkook's surgery, Taehyung had follow Jimin to the hospital. Staying out of sight, he witnessed his twin crumbling to the ground in agonizing cries. Taehyung felt irritated. Why is Jimin always to fucking selfless??? Why does Jimin always try to play the good guy???

Taehyung always feel inferior when he looks at Jimin, who is like a living saint. In comparison to his brother, he sees himself as a selfish coward. Ever since the two were young, Taehyung had been jealous of Jimin's maturity and sensitivity. He strives to be like his twin yet he's never come close. So when Taehyung realized that Jungkook, who Jimin holds dear, has a crush on him instead, there is a slight sense of satisfaction. In a way, that was the first time Taehyung has had something that Jimin wanted but couldn't get. But seeing Jimin all vulnerable and broken on the hospital floor...Taehyung can feel his own heart tearing apart. Despite all the envy, Taehyung loves no one like he loves Jimin.

The evening Jungkook went into surgery, Jimin came to ask him to return to Jungkook's side.

"No." Taehyung refused without a second thought.

"Tae, please. It has to be you!" Jimin persisted.

"No, it doesn't! I can't take all the credit when you're the one who got Jungkook back on his feet." Taehyung explained in exasperation.

Jimin shook his head side to side, "No, you don't understand. It has to be you." He mumbled through his tears.

Although they are twins, Jimin and Taehyung cannot be anymore different from one another.

Throughout their childhood, Jimin can only remember the sound of Taehyung's laugh, the joy that his presence brought, and the boxy grin that could charm anyone and everyone. Compared to Taehyung who was, and still is, so radiant and lively, Jimin is dull and boring. It wasn't a surprise to Jimin when Jungkook fell for his brother and not him. After all, who would choose darkness over light?
Jimin continued to plead his twin, and Taehyung gradually began to resist less. Taehyung knew it would be wrong to take his place back by Jungkook's side, but he longed to.

"Jiminie, why do you do this to yourself? I know you love him too! Why, why hurt yourself like this?" Taehyung brought his hand up to caress his brother's face.

"It would hurt more to see you and Jungkook not be happy when you could be." The look in Jimin's eyes was so earnest that Taehyung could not help but relent.

"Okay...okay. I'll go back to Jungkook. I'll complete your lie, Jiminie." Taehyung kissed away the tears on Jimin's face.

-----

Taking his post besides Jungkook's bed, Taehyung waits for the younger to wake up. There is a slight stir in the movement of Jungkook's head, and Taehyung notices the scrunching of his eye lids. Slowly but surely, Jungkook opens his eyes, his pupils dancing from side to side and stops on Taehyung's face.

"Taehyung." Jungkook manages a soft whisper.

"Hey, Jungkookie. You're alright? Let me go call the nurse." Taehyung begins to get up to leave when Jungkook's hand reaches up to halt him.

"No. I - I'm fine. I just need to adjust to the light for a bit."

Jungkook waves his palms across his face, the fact that he can see again feels so surreal. "I can't believe this." He breathes out in relief.

"This is great Jungkook-ah. I'm so happy for you." Taehyung comes in for hug.

"I couldn't have made it without you." Jungkook mutters into the other's chest.