Percy Jackson

A/N special thanks to Leeda_The_Leader for the idea about the greeting from Annie. The winning comment on that last chapter was "Here!" by PichuIzzy

You know you've screwed the pouch when your girlfriend punches you in the gut the moment you get back home.

Granted, it was so I would bend down so she could plant what could only be described as heated kiss on my lips, which I happily returned. "Not that I'm complaining," I breathed once we had pulled apart, "but what was that for?" I searched her eyes and found this broken sort of relief, and, gods, was it familiar. It was the same face I saw when I looked in the mirror after a particularly bad nightmare involving her, and I realized she was okay. "Hey, hey, Wise Girl, what's up?"

"You didn't say you were heading out. I guess I just thought that..." She trailed off, breaking eye contact.

"Like I'd let Hera have another go at me," I scoffed playfully.

She nodded, clearing her throat. I noticed that she side-eyed our little audience, who she had either missed or ignored. A deep breathe, a long blink, a squaring of the shoulders - she was back to being the public version of Annabeth, her walls completely restored for the time being. As unhealthy as that sounds, I couldn't really judge her. I did the same thing.

At least the walls were built around both of us, so there was never a communication issue with her.

"Did you get your Nutty Buddies, Clint?" she asked, making it clear that the display was not up for discussion.

"Uh, yeah. We just got everything put away in the pantry before we ran into you," he responded, quickly taking the hint.

"That's good." There was a slight hesitation in her voice, her glare darting from Natasha to Clint and back again. "Percy, do you mind grabbing some water? I've got a quick question for Ms. and Mr. Superhero."

I raised an eyebrow, but gave her a quick peck on the forehead anyways, a silent comfort after what had probably been a terrible hour. "Yeah, sure. Is this going to take long, or...?"

"I should have an answer in the time it takes you to make it there and back," she winked. "Mental calculations and all," she boasted in the cheesiest way possible. "I do have my mother for a mother, after all."

"What does your mother have to do with anything?" Clint muttered, but neither of us deigned to answer him, instead pretending to have not heard him.

"Well, I guess I'm off then," I smiled, tucking one last strand of hair behind her ear and trotting down the hallway, praying to the gods that I could remember my way to the kitchen in the labyrinth of a tower.

And, if I had to ask Jarvis for directions, no one needed to know.

Upon entering the room, I snatched a cup from the cabinets, draining water from the sink as I walked until it was full. I raced to retrace my steps, secretly hoping that I could make it back to hear the end of the conversation Annabeth had needed. Hey, don't give me that look! She said she could get the desired information in time! It wouldn't be my fault if her calculations were just slightly off!

Obviously, she was right. Otherwise, I would have included the final words of their talk. She had probably factored in my speeding back, that sneaky Wise Girl.

When I found the spot I had left her in, Clint and Natasha had long since left. She perked up when she saw me, putting down a book she had acquired. I didn't take that long, did I? Well, it did take a few minutes before I admitted to needing help, so I suppose it wasn't all that pre-pos-ter-ous.

That's right, I can correctly use that word now. How about a round of applause for the succeeding dyslexic over here?

Thank you, thank you! You're too kind, really! Aw, shucks. You don't have to...

Okay, hold the rest of your applause. I have a story to get back to telling.

"Watcha readin'?" I wondered, sliding down the wall so we were sitting next to each other. Wordlessly, I passed over her beverage, and she nodded her thanks.

"Stephen King's On Writing. It's his memoir," she answered after taking a sip.

"Is it good?"

"Yeah, he's a funny guy. Cusses a lot, too."

"Yeah? I haven't read him yet. Think there are Greek copies out?"

She pursed her lips. I knew she had been straining against her reading impairment to get through the book, which wasn't as much of an option for me. I wasn't as motivated to read as she was. "Probably. If not, just ask the demigods who translated your textbooks to make a copy."

"They're busy enough with the other demigods, especially this time of year," I said, waving her suggestion off slightly. "I'm sure you can fill me in on what I need to know about his content anyways."

"Well, it's mostly horror."

"Gee, I didn't know."

"Shut up, Seaweed Brain," she chuckled, slapping my arm slightly. "I haven't actually read his other books yet. I'm starting with his memoir."

"The great Annabeth Chase hasn't read every book in existence? What is this? What is life anymore? Woe is me! I cannot live with this new information!" I gasped dramatically, the back of my hand flying to my forehead as I leaned onto my girlfriend.

She laughed. "Dork."

"Guilty as charged, ya nerd."

I closed my eyes and listened to her low giggles fade away as she zoned back into what she was reading. I took in her scent and the feeling her soft hair inflicted on my cheek. I reminded myself that this was actually happening. It was reality. We were living a happily ever after that I didn't even think was possible just a year prior.

I never wanted it to end.

A/N 😏 again, the plot was just pushed forward in ways you won't know until it starts going full swing. Also, my phone's been constantly blowing up because of this lol

Wait... don't blow it up more just because I said that.

Aw crap.