Chapter 2: Number 54

Alex's POV~

-
I was walking out of my house to go to the vet. I worked there, I owned the place. I love animals they're the most cutest things in the world. My whole family thought that I was going to be an owner, that's how much I love pets. But to everyone's surprise, I'm a caregiver. I wasn't that surprised when I found out I loved taking care of my siblings seeing as though I was the oldest out of them. I have 4 siblings 3 sisters and a brother. And I adore them I was sad when I had to leave for college.

I was on my way to the vet when my best friend called, Sidney. She's a caregiver like me, but unlike her, she had her little and I didn't. I don't mind much I want my little to take time but you get lonely when your friend visit with their little and you don't have one. It's fine though she lets me babysit him once in a while and I don't complain it gives me practice when I have my little. Whenever that will be.

"Hey, Alex when are you getting here the dogs are not behaving with their training today." She sounds like she ran a marathon.

"I'll be there soon just don't let them get into the dirt."

"Alright hurry!" I ended the call and hurry up to the vets.

When I got there I parked the car and got out. Everyone greeted me seeing as though everyone knows everyone here. I asked Scott where Sid was and he said in the back. I went to the back and all I got to say was chaos. Everything was chaos the dogs were running circles around the employees, poor them they look exhausted. I spotted Sidney in the chaos and went over to her.

"Hey Sid, what happened."

"OMG, I'm glad you're here. The dogs are going crazy."

"I can see that. Tell Barb to get the whistle this needs to be put under control." She nodded her head and went to get Barb.

I went to my locker to get my uniform on and took a glance at my watch. Still, nothing I sighed closed my locker, and went back to the dogs. It's been 4 years since I took the test and I still didn't have a number. In some cases, your sub doesn't even take the test. It's because some people don't like the way the government is doing things. But I had hope that my little will take the test and I will see them until then I will wait.
-
After we had settled the dogs and went through the training with them everything went back on schedule. I was taking inventory when I heard someone coming up behind me. I turned around and saw Sid.

"Hey, Sid, what's up."

"Hey, I was wondering if your watch had shown a number yet." I froze midway of opening a crate.

"No," I mumbled resuming checking the inventory. Sidney is my best friend and I know she means well, but she knows how sensitive that topic is.

"You know it took me 2 years until I got my number.

"I know Sid I was there when you got it."

She was worried that her little wouldn't take the test and she wouldn't have one. We are the same age and took the test together. I was happy she got her number and I couldn't wait for mine to come. She went to go get her little that day. Her little's name is Rowan. He has faded dark red hair and big brown eyes. She was so excited to meet him.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine Sid I know my little is going to take the test it just takes time."

"Ok, Al-" She got cut off by a beep coming from my watch I looked down and saw a number flashing in front of my eyes. It read number 54.

I looked at Sidney with a surprised look on my face
I couldn't believe it I'm going to have a little.