chapter 10: persistance

KIIARA
❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

It was the day of my exam.

The exam consisted of a 5 minute spar between you and someone the same level, and was judged based on coordination, skill, technique and speed.

We spent the week doing practice spars, and I wasn't too bad.

I won 3 out of the 5 practice matches. Romero said he thinks I would do well. I wouldn't know who I would be against but I was ready.

For Jordan's sake

❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
I close my room door, locking it then heading to the cafeteria. On my way Nina runs into me.

"Morning Nenita", I say smiling at her full first name.

She scoffs. "We don't talk about it."

"What do you mean "we don't talk about it?" It's a pretty name."

"Yeah yeah, it's too old fashioned. So, first level exam today. Nervous?"

I take a deep breath in. "Hell yeah. I need to pass."

"Psh you'll pass easily, boo."

Yeah not like a phone call from my brother is being counted on me passing.

"Kiiara, I won't be able to come to your exam. Gabriella and the girls and I have a scheduled appointment for something."

I slow down my walk. "Oh, it's okay."

Nina looks at me with sad eyes. "If I could I would, I'd much rather be with you than them but I can't. Tell me how it goes though, okay?"

I nod as she gives me an air kiss and heads back to her room.

❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
9:30am

After forcing to eat a breakfast, I head to Romero's last class before the exam.

I walk in, to see the teens stretching and chatting amongst themselves. I place my water bottle down even I feel a hand on my arm.

"Gabriel", I smile.

"Morning, you nervous?"

"Yep. "

"You'll do fine. Remember it's only 5 minutes or sooner if one of you defeats the other quicker."

I nod at his words when Romero walks in and silences the class. Gabriel sits right by me.

10:47am

"Time to show me you weren't daydreaming in class. I have the list of who's going when and with who", Romero says after our final training lesson.

He walks around, examining all of us.

"Remember, right after I say your names we are heading to the arena so don't think you can prepare beforehand to fight your enemy. Whatever you did in training today was your preparation."

I close my eyes and take a deep breath in and out.

For Jordan.

Gabriel puts his hand out for me and I smile, taking it as Romero reads the list.

"Alyssa you will be fighting at 11:50-12:00 with Sonia. Lastly, Kiiara you will be fighting at 12:05-12:10 with Ryker."

My eyes shoot immediately to the muscular 15-year old. He was one of the best in class and never  spoke to me.

Of course I get the mysterious introvert.

"Everyone grab your stuff, Gabriel go check if they are ready for us."