f o u r

Jeongguk kept his hands warm in his pockets. Though the urge to fish out his phone was tempting, he didn't want to freeze to death.

The bus was late. He didn't need to know the time to realize that. In fact, Jeongguk had been sitting at the bus stop for so long, he felt as if the shape of the seat might be engraved into his ass.

"Hi Jeongguk."

The boy raised his head to the direction of the voice. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to lend you my scarf so you'd come running back to me again," Taehyung joked, settling down next to him. He looked cute and cosy, all wrapped up in layers and glasses partially fogged.

"Ah, so he developed a sense of humor." Jeongguk snorted, amused. "No but seriously. What are you doing here?"

"Since you're so interested in getting to know me, Jeongguk— I spend a lot of time sitting at bus stops," The older said airily, "If I'm not working my part-times, or volunteering at the nursing home, I'm here."

"Why?"

"I love watching the snow. And I love watching people." Taehyung tipped his head back and directed his gaze towards the sky. "You understand, don't you, Jeongguk? Why else would you be here?"

"Waiting for the bus," Jeongguk deadpanned.

Taehyung turned towards the younger with a playfully wicked smile. "You do know that they canceled buses for the rest of the day, right? There was a snowslide at the end of the highway."

The younger buried his head in his hands in an instant, his theory proven true. "Argh. There goes my one way home."

"You really shouldn't have come and given this back," Taehyung said, gesturing at the scarf around his neck. Jeongguk couldn't tell if he was teasing or being sympathetic.

"I really shouldn't have," The younger agreed.

There was a quick pause before Taehyung spoke again, holding a hand out innocently to catch snowflakes on his open palm. "You live far?"

"Like... twelve miles away... maybe."

"I'm sure there are other ways to get back."

"I don't have a license, so my only hope was this bus."

"Can't you call someone and ask for a ride?"

Jeongguk performed a bitter laugh. "I'm not calling my family. That's for sure."

Taehyung frowned. The younger didn't notice when he scooted closer to him. "Why? What happened?"

The younger shrugged, turning his face away to hide the way his eyes glazed over at the topic. The wind howled without end, only reducing its ferocity long enough to gather the strength for another attack. All his heart could do was continue to pump warm blood into his veins in a hope that it'll be enough to fill the cold void in his chest.

It's ironic. The more Christmas neared, the more loneliness it brought.

That was, until he felt the older's hand slide over his.

"Let's head indoors, hm?" Taehyung suggested tenderly. The tone of his voice had shifted completely. "There's a coffee place down the avenue with the best hot chocolate. My treat."