t h i r t e e n

Snowflakes.

They begin as a tiny speck of a dust particle, wandering the open space until coated by a thin layer of water vapor.

Snowflakes.

They fall. Sometimes they plunge like a stone piercing into water; sometimes they descend softly like feathers do. They frolic at their own pace.

Snowflakes.

We're not much different are we?

We dance through different levels of temperature and humidity, different experiences in life. We change with the atmosphere and come out not just beautiful— but unique.

Fixation is the way to death. Fluidity is the way to life.

We're taught to fear unfamiliarity instead of embracing it. We're taught that every change of events leads to a dead end and we should stop doing the things we love because of it.

Let go.

Enjoy every twist and turn, every gust of wind that carries you north and south, east and west until you kiss the ground.

You're a pretty snowflake.

Don't be afraid of the dark. It's not about the light at the end of the tunnel; It's about creating light within the tunnel.

Love and cherish every moment, even when you feel like you're losing direction. Losing gains. In Jeongguk's case, he gained a new perspective as well as a new lover.

The best things in life aren't seen but felt.

And Jeongguk could feel the warmth of his father spread out from his chest and smothering him with love. He felt his presence with every snowflake that landed on his tongue and every fairy light hung up on their front door.

He knocked.

It took every ounce of him not to cry when his sister threw her arms around him, babbling, "I thought you weren't gonna show up."

"I'm sorry," Jeongguk murmured, "I'm sorry we fought."

"It doesn't matter." She turned and raised her voice. "Mom! Gguk's here!"

The dam finally broke when his mother brought him into her embrace, stroking his head and mumbling thank gods. He desperately blinked back his tears.

"I even brought Meatball over," His sister spoke, "Didn't want the poor thing to be alone on Christmas."

As if on cue, Meatball rubbed her head against Jeongguk's leg and purred.

"Meatball!" Jeongguk couched down and ran his hand along her white coat of fur.

When he looked back up, his heart ached at the look on his mother's face.

"You're home," She said, not believing it.

"I am." Jeongguk held his mother tighter, embarrassed by the wetness of his cheeks. "I'm sorry I chose to leave. It just— it didn't feel right without dad."

"I know. We know. It's hard." She nodded in understanding. "I wouldn't even hold it against you if you didn't come. I know how much Christmas with your dad meant to you. I know how painful it must be."

"Well." Jeongguk inhaled, intoxicated by the smell of gingerbread. "Here I am."

"What changed your mind?"

Oh gosh, what changed his mind?

"I met a boy."

Jeongguk instantly felt the smile that tugged at his lips, his mind running through every event that occurred the past two days.

"He gave me his scarf."

___________
the end
author's note next :)