Chapter Three

You headed down to the kitchen to start dinner. The Avengers must still be in the meeting, they'd been working to take down the last hydra bases. "FRIDAY play my cooking playlist," you said as you took out the ingredients for tacos.

You were singing along quietly so as not to disturb anyone and chopping some lettuce when you heard someone come in. It was Bucky. "Hey," you said. He didn't say anything but he sat down by the window. You'd have to catch up with Steve about what was summarised in the meeting. Placing the lettuce in the bowl with the salad you heard the meeting be dismissed from above you. You placed the salad on the table and started preparing the tacos.

Within five minutes, everyone was sitting at the table ready to eat. Except Bucky, he looked confused for a second. You placed down the tacos and went over to him. "Are you okay? Do you want something else?" you asked, smiling at him softly so as not to look like you were pitying him.

"I was just wondering what everyone was doing," he asked. You followed his gaze to where people were eating, talking and drinking beer. It was probably something odd to see.

"We usually all sit down together for dinner but you don't have to stay," you said.

"No no, I want to," he said. You gestured for him to follow you and took a seat at the end of the table, he sat down next to you. Steve passed Bucky a taco which he took gratefully.

"The Halloween Mission is next week y/n," said Tony. The Halloween mission was the last one they went on before Halloween, you used the time to decorate the tower and on Halloween night Tony would throw a party. Halloween was the following Saturday.

--------------------------------

You woke up to someone screaming, it was still dark out and your phone said it was just after two in the morning. Pulling on a hoodie, you left your room. The screaming was coming from Bucky's room. You were scared to open the door, you didn't know how he was gonna react to you going in. "Bucky?" you said softly, knocking on the door. The screaming stopped for a second.

You opened the door, Bucky was sat on the floor, his head on the wall. He was shaking uncontrollably. "Buck?" you asked. He was looking at nothing, staring past you at nothing. You sat down next to him.

"Bucky it's yn," you said, he was stuck in his own mind and you could hardly even imagine what that felt like. "I'm here okay," you'd missed the meeting so you had no idea how to respond to this. You didn't want to leave and call Steve. His fingers brushed yours. You grabbed his hand, trying to calm him down. "Bucky?" You asked. No idea what to do. Wow okay you were kinda terrible at this.

He sat there shaking but his hand was still in yours. "Y/n?" he said quietly. Your heart fluttered in your chest, he seemed to come out of whatever it was that had taken over him. He eventually stopped shaking. And he had said your name. Meaning that whatever you had said and done had worked. 

"Bucky, are you okay? Do you need anything?" you asked. You didn't want to ask too many questions. His gaze started to come back and his eyes darted around the room.

"Can you stay?" he asked.

"I can stay, I'm here," you said.

-------------

You woke up with your head on Bucky's chest. The sunlight was streaming in but he was still asleep and you were still holding his hand. You didn't want to ask FRIDAY what time it was so you sat with Bucky. His breathing was heavy when he slept, you were scared he was going to have another nightmare. You'd probably done an awful job trying to calm him down. At least he was sort of okay now.

You heard voices outside the door and a gentle knock. Steve opened the door. "Y/n?" he said, confused as to why you were in Bucky's room. You gestured for him to stay quiet. He sent you a confused glance but shut the door. You waited for Bucky to wake up.

Eventually, you felt Bucky move, his fingers gently leaving yours. "Hey Bucky, are you okay?" you asked gently. He smiled and nodded.

"Thank you for staying with me," he said. You got up and straightened yourself out before leaving.

After getting dressed you headed to get some breakfast. You noticed Bucky sat in the chair by the window. Just as you were pouring coffee into your mug Steve came in, "Y/n can I talk to you?" he said.

You followed Steve to the meeting room upstairs. "I just wanted to talk to you about Bucky, and why you were in there?" he said. Steve opened the meeting room door and you sat in one of the chairs. "Um to summarise, ask no questions that may have difficult answers, avoid becoming close to him, don't try and force conversation. Just give him space basically,"

Steve put his head in his hands. "What about the nightmares?" you asked.

"I don't know, I try to talk to him but he's different than before, I don't know how to help, I don't want to overstep my place," he said. You could tell that it was difficult for Steve, not knowing about his friend anymore. Not knowing how to help him. Not knowing what he'd been through. 

"I mean I know it's hard Steve but you didn't really expect things to go back to normal," you asked, waiting for a response, but you didn't get one, "The guy's been through alot. You can't expect him to act like he's okay when he's not, but I'm sure showing being there for him is appreciated," you didn't know if what you had said helped. 

After sitting in silence, Steve sighed, "Thank you," he said, getting up, "And thank you for helping Bucky last night," he opened the door and stepped out.

You opened up the to-do list while sat in the meeting room, today's list contained of; finding out about Peter Parker, checking on Harley, trying to encourage everyone to use their social media accounts, updating the avengers social media accounts and the thing you dreaded most, talking to the press about the rumours of the Winter Soldier joining the team.