Chapter Twenty-Five

You were still heartbroken five days later. Tony had taken you to the hideout. Everyone was there and it looked like they'd been through hell. Nat had said she would watch George while you slept for a while but you sat on the edge of the bed and cried. When you came back there had been a tiny part of you that had believed Bucky would be there waiting for you. Now every part of you was telling you that you wasted your time and that you needed to be better for George. You heard the door open and saw Steve come in. "You've been through a hell of a lot on your own," he said, sitting down next to you, "I'm sorry we weren't there," he put an arm round your shoulder.

"I thought Bucky had really loved me," you said, brushing away a tear from the corner of your eye, "I got up every morning on the fact we would see each other again and that the situation was only temporary, I guess I was wrong," you rested your head on Steve's shoulder. They all looked so tired, hiding out in a two bedroom apartment, barely leaving.

"Bucky loved you," said Steve, "I really thought he was going to get you, he protected that locket with his life, he never took it off, the thought of never seeing you again drove him over the edge," you weren't sure whether that was supposed to make you feel better or worse.

"Guess he didn't want to find me," you said, Steve still had his arm around you and realized how long it had been since someone had told you it would be okay, and held you while you cried. You had tried to be strong for so long, living on these tiny parts of hope living inside of you but the one thing that had made your life feel like it was worth living, Bucky. And now he was gone.

"Where did you say you went again?" said Steve, a sudden look of realisation flashing across his face. Making you worry. 

"Paris, why?" you asked.

"He said your phones last known location was LA when he left, you were in Paris then right?" said Steve.

"When he left yeah," you said, "Oh God, you don't think..." you trailed off not wanting to finish that sentence. You knew Steve thought it too. Maybe you were being too hopeful. Hadn't you texted him a million times that you were in Paris? Then again, you had switched off your phones location when you left for Paris. 

"We have to go find him," said Steve, he left the room and you followed him into the small kitchen. Everyone was sat around the table, you went over to George while they discussed what Steve had thought. You knew it would be risky if they went out and tried to cooperate with HYDRA, but if they had Bucky it meant only one thing. The Winter Soldier was back.