Ch. 14

The dragonkin that stood before them had blood red flames flickering over his armor and clothes, and a permanent snarl on his face.

"You think that we will just allow two brats to run around as they please in here?" The man growled, the heat of his flames almost unbearable to Shinsou.

Katsuki, on the other hand, was used to the heat of his explosions, but as the temperature slowly increased he narrowed his eyes, staring down the dragon- man in front of them.

The two of them would be dead, if the man hadn't been so loud when he yelled angrily, releasing flames and shooting them towards the two, the hallway falling silent as Shinsou's quirk activated.

Katsuki quickly searched for an escape route as Shinsou just barely kept the flames at bay with a trembling wall of sound.

Suddenly, an idea came to mind as he glanced at the boy next to him. If Shinsou got the hint, of course- the boy wasn't stupid, obviously.

"Hey! You big idiot, you think your all that strong, huh?!" Katsuki suddenly yelled, and Shinsku's eyes widened as he realized what the boy was doing.

"Honestly, being on the same level as a couple of kids must be embarrasing!" Shinsou taunted, and the man angrily flared his wings.

"Weaklings like you should-" His eyes went blank, the flames receding.

"Uh... knock yourself out." Shinsou called, shakily releasing the sound wall he had been holding in front of them.

We're being way too careless right now.

The dragon- man raised a large fist, slamming it down on his head. As he slumped to the floor, Shinsou grabbed Katsuki's shoulder, turning him around and racing around another corner, the explosion user right behind him.

"Just one more flight of stairs-"

"Sho?"

Nezu paled. 

Aizawa cursed.

Hizashi let out a sound close to that of a dying dog.

Mina and Kirishima uncomfortably squirmed under the intense gazes of the three pro heroes.

"You don't mean to say... problem child, both the problem children went out in the dead of the night, right after us telling them about the missing vigilantes and you think that they know where the vigilantes are, because of what they said and how they'd been acting - SHINSOU HITOSHI, AND BAKUGOU KATSUKI left school grounds, and are putting their lives in danger on a mission that could potentially kill them?!"

Aizawa's quirk unintentionally activated as he yelled, snapping Nezu and Present Mic back to reality.

"We need to locate them this instant-" A faint, but familiar wail of a siren finally reached UA, and all the people in the room paled.

"Snake's den. Send-" Present Mic started, but Nezu stopped him with a hand.

The usually optimistic bear-human had a grim look that was so unlike him, it worried the pro heroes.

"There's nothing we can do. They've probably set up traps and completely destroyed any entrances into the base. In other words, we can only hope that those two... can successfully save who they're looking for." Nezu said, quietly jumping down from his chair.

"One of the boys is, after all, is the top of the class and one of the boys is the most feared vigilante in all of Japan." He whispered, everyone in the meeting room falling silent.

"You- you don't mean that Shinsou-?!" Mina shrieked, the assembled pro heroes remembering that there were two kids present.

"Why would you keep that from us, Nezu?" All Might questioned finally, turning to stare at the man.

"Well, and what would you have done? Deprived a child from a normal school environment after being on the run for who knows how many years?" He remarked icily, the number one pro hero falling silent as the reality set in.

"... that would be wrong... but after all he's done, it's hard to view him as a kid."

"I couldn't give a damn about this, there's got to be SOMETHING we can do to help the kids." Aizawa raised his voice again, Kirishima flinching at the terrifying look on the man's face.

One could have sworn that the man would not have hesitated to murder something in that moment -regardless of who they were - had they objected.

Nezu thought for a moment.

"Well..."

"Sho- is that you?!" The boy's tone became panicked as he didn't get a response.

That's Shinsou's scent. And...

"Kacchan?"

Shinsou rushed forward, tightly hugging the boy. Katsuki stepped forward, tense.

"Izu... your eyes..." He whispered, and that's when the purple-haired boy finally noticed the taller green-haured boy's face.

"What- what's with my eyes?" The confident, stoic boy had dissapeared for a moment. Izuku Midoriya was downright terrified.

"Well, they're still intact, they might be able to be fixed, we need to run, now." As much as Katsuki wanted to cry, or hug his childhood best friend, they needed to get out of this place before anyone else found them.

Grabbing the kitsune's wrist, he tugged Izuku after them, then began running.

Izuku was fine, aside from his eyesight. He was way faster than the two other boys, and easily kept up with their pace, rarely stumbling over his feet.

"Up we go..." Shinsou muttered, and then, tightly holding the other two boys close, they quickly shot up - through the stairs - one floor.

"Oh shit, run, run, run. It's a whole pack of assholes." Katsuki hissed, skidding around a corner.

Izuku almost laughed at the comment, but decided that now was not the time when he was partially disabled and deprived of food and water. His heart rate had returned, warm blood pumping through his veins as they ran.

It was as exhilarating as the old days, running from the pro heroes with Hitoshi after they nearly got caught, but now, it was... well, he had no regrets from the faces of the people he killed - because for once, he wasn't the bad guy, he was the cornered animal that had fought back.

There was a loud slam as Katsuki kicked open a door, letting a huge explosion fill the hallway ahead as a smell of smoke drifted towards Izuku.

The explosion user grabbed his hand and pulled him through the disorienting cloud of smoke, Shinsou running on the right looking out for any incoming dragonkin.

"Shouta's gonna give us hell if we get back," Shinsou remarked dryly as they slumped against a wall to take a short break, catching their breaths.

"I don't like the 'if' that you added in there, Hitoshi."

"Suck it. Let's go, the longer we stay here the more likely we are to die." The boy replied, jumping to his feet.

Izuku hadn't realized a smile had crept over his face at the two's easygoing conversation.

So Sho wasn't alone when I dissapeared.

Thank god.