Chapter 6

I stared at the guardians, confused and a little shocked. "Guardian? Me?" I thought. Sounds of trumpets suddenly filled the air. Yetis raised their torches and swung them around. One Yeti handed a large book to North. He then snapped it open. The music then stopped as North began speaking. "Will you, Payton Twig," he began. "Vow to watch over the children of the world. To guard them with your life, their hopes, wishes and dreams. For they are all that we have, all that we are and all that we will ever be."

They all then jerked their heads to look at me. I felt slightly nervous as I glanced at them back. "...Yes?" I shrugged. "Ha ha!" North exclaimed. He snapped the book closed as he stretched his arms out. "Congratulations, Payton Twig. For you are now, and forever more a guardian!" North announced. I chuckled.

Soon after that, the guardians had left and I found myself following North as he took me to his office. He grabbed a plate from an elf carrying it. "Fruitcake?" he asked. "Oh, no thank you." I said. He put the plate away. "Hm." North stroked his beard. "Payton, do you know what a center is?" he then asked. "No. I have no clue." I replied. North paced to a shelf and grabbed a Russian doll (which was as large as his hand and the doll itself looked exactly like him.) "This is probably how you see me! Not very big, or intimidating. But, if you get to know me a little." North passed the doll to me as I caught it. I twisted it and I opened it. The same figurine appeared underneath, only that it was slightly smaller and it had a nice and happy face. "Your jolly!" I exclaimed.

"Yes." North agreed. "But not just jolly! I'm also mysterious." he said as I opened the Russian doll again. This lasted for about 2 more times until I got to the center of the doll. "But at my center..." North put his hand out as I tipped of the doll and let the last one slip into his hand.

"There's a small baby?"

"No, look closer. What do you see?"

"Big eyes?"

"Yes! Big eyes. Very big, because they are filled with wonder. It is what I was born with. Eyes that see wonder in everything. It is what makes me a guardian! It is what I put into the world and what I protect in children..."

"It is my center. What is yours, Payton Twig?" North then asked.

"I'm not sure.." I looked down. "But I will find out soon, right?" I looked back up at North.

"Yes...Soon..."