Chapter Six: The Council of Elrond

Averael reclaimed her cloak next to one of the many rivers that ran through Rivendell. A few Elves sat by the edge of the river, washing clothes and chatting. She found her cloak hanging in a tree, newly washed. Pulling it over her shoulders and fastening the button around her neck, she nodded her thanks to the Elves and continued exploring the Elven city. 

That night, Averael was assigned one of the many guest rooms at the eastern end of Rivendell. Her room was next to the hobbits' rooms, and Strider's lay across the hall. She slept late into the morning and jumped awake when she heard a knock on the door. She quickly got up and opened the door, to see an Elven maid holding a neatly sewn and folded dress. She handed it to Averael.  

"Lord Elrond asks that you be present at his Council in one hour." She said. 

"Ah... thank you," she said, surprised. Averael took the dress and shut the door. Why would Lord Elrond want her at the council? She had only tagged along with the others. Gondor was her next stop, she had no business in Rivendell.

The dress was a beautiful, light green dress of velvet. The neckline ran low, showing a bit more than she was used to. Silky ribbons ran around the waist and the edges of the quarter sleeves. She stared at the dress, thinking. When was the last time she had worn a dress? She changed, attentive to her motions, and trying to be careful with the beautiful garment.

Starting to rebraid her hair once again, she stopped. A simple braid was no match for the beauty and elegance of the dress. She sighed. She had next to nothing of experience with hair and dresses; rangers rarely needed it. She combed through her hair, leaving most of it down, but pinning a few strands from the front into the back.

She stepped out of her room feeling very different, intending to take a walk before the council started. She'd heard several Elves talking about it, murmurs of the One Ring and the Eye of Sauron. She was lost on thought and clumsily ran into another person walking in the opposite direction.  

"Excuse me," she said, looking up at the person. "Eros?" She was shocked. She hadn't seen Eros since she was young. 

"Averael? I hardly recognized you!" Eros hugged her in a brief manner. "What are you doing here?" 

"I was on my way to Gondor, and stopped here." She said. She did something she rarely did, and grinned as hard as she could. "What about you? I haven't seen you since you left!" Eros was the son of her father's friend who had taken her in after the accident. They had grown up together, and were as close as siblings. 

"I've been traveling back and forth." Eros said. "I've just returned from Gondor." He finished. She pulled a peculiar face.

"What for?" 

"Sauron's forces are getting stronger." His face was serious now. "The Rangers of Ithillien want nothing to do with the war that may come." 

"Really?" She asked. Eros nodded. Averael's smile turned to confusion. "I was sent to Gondor for that very reason. I was a bit hesitant, but I believe that the Rangers of the North want nothing to do with it either." She looked down.

"I'm headed there now, tonight, if you'd like to come with." Eros suggested. She looked up. 

"I'll think about it." she said. "I want to see if there is anything else I can do while I am here, since my job now is finished. There's a council I've been invited to concerning the war." She said, gesturing towards the pavilion where they would meet. She hadn't known what had made her say that. Averael hadn't seen Eros for a very long time, and would have liked to stay and catch up.