Chapter Twenty-One: Battle at Helm's Deep

Women and children wept and said their goodbyes as their husbands, fathers, and sons were drafted to the army. Many were too young, too old, or too sick. Most of the able bodied men were with Eomer. Averael hoped Gandalf would get here in time with them. If he didn't, she feared the people wouldn't last long against Saruman's army of Uruks.

The women and children were lead into the caves. Averael tucked back her hair and pulled up her hood, concealing her gender as much as she could. Sitting back helplessly was not something she was willing to do. If she were to die this night, it would be in battle alongside her friends, not by being slaughtered in the caves after all hope was lost. She walked to the armory with Aragorn, turning her head whenever a soldier passed by. 

Inside, she saw Legolas and Gimli. No one else was in the room, so she removed her hood for a moment. Legolas smiled at them as they walked in. Aragorn went to the wall of armor and grabbed a chain mail tunic for her, and another for himself. He handed her the smaller one, and she put it on.

"You're fighting?" Gimli asked. Averael nodded. "But you're a woman!" Gimli said, surprised.

"Just because I am a woman does not mean I cannot fight, Gimli." She said. "My place is out there, not hidden away in the caves, wondering whether I would live out the night. I'd rather die fighting." She finished, putting her cloak back on and strapping on her sword. 

"What's this I hear of a woman on the battlegrounds?" Theoden walked in, decked out in Rohirrim armor. Averael turned around, her hands on her hood. 

"If you were from Rohan I would have you join the other women in the caves." He said, grabbing his own sword. "But, seeing as you are not, I cannot make you go. I will not be responsible for your death." Averael nodded her thanks for letting her still fight, and pulled her hood over her head. A horn sounded from outside.

"That is no Orc horn." Legolas said. He hurried outside. Averael walked out of the armory after Aragorn and Theoden, and saw an army of Elves marching into the open gates, led by Haldir.

"How is this possible?" Theoden asked in amazement.

"I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell. An alliance once existed between Elves and men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance." Haldir said. Aragorn came up to Haldir.

"Mae govannen, Haldir. (Welcome, Haldir.)" He said, hugging him. Haldir was surprised at the huge embrace, but returned it lightly. He turned and clasped Legolas by the shoulder, then turned to Theoden once again.

"We are proud to fight alongside men, once more." He said. Averael smiled behind her hood. Haldir gave her a look, exchanged a few more words with Theoden, and walked over to Averael and Gimli with Legolas and Aragorn. 

"It is good to see you well," he noted, nodding to Averael.

"We are in debt to your people." She said, nodding back. The Lothlorien Elves had done so much for this war. 

"Come, let us assemble." Haldir waved a hand and his Elven army followed them to the wall. 

Rohirrim men and Lothlorien Elves alike took places along the wall of Helm's Deep. Averael stood next to Legolas and Gimli. She looked out at the sea of Uruk-hai quickly approaching. There were thousands of thousands of them. She saw no escape, not even with the help of Lorien. 

"You could have picked a better spot," Gimli said, straining to see over the wall. Averael swallowed nervously, her hand on the pommel of her sword. Aragorn walked up and took a spot next to her.