Chapter Eighteen: Edoras

The group stopped as Edoras came into view.

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Theoden, King of Rohan, whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Theoden is now very strong." Gandalf said. "Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here." He finished, and they began riding again. They soon reached the city. The buildings were all made of wood and stone, with thatch roofs. They slowed as they rode towards the Golden Hall, the largest, grandest building in Rohan. Averael noticed everyone looked somber and were all dressed in black. 

"You'll find more cheer in a graveyard." Gimli muttered. They dismounted, tying the horses at a pole. Averael felt uneasy as they were watched on their path up the steps. A guard stopped them at the doors.

"I cannot allow you before King Theoden so armed, Gandalf Greyhame. By order of Grima Wormtounge." He said. Averael winced. The thought of going into somewhere she didn't trust unarmed made her even more uneasy. Gandalf turned to the group and nodded at them, telling them to surrender their weapons. Legolas gave his two white knives a little spin before handing them hilt-first to a guard. Gimli hesitated, but handed over his axes. Aragorn carefully set his sword and bow down. Averael set down her sword, but left the small knife at her belt where it was. The first guard nodded to it, and she sighed at her unsuccessful attempt to "forget" it, untying it from her waist and setting it next to her other weapons. 

"Your staff." The guard gestured to Gandalf's staff.  

"You would not part an old man from his walking stick." Gandalf looked at him innocently. The guard hesitated for a moment but led them into the Hall. Gandalf winked to Aragorn, and Averael smiled at the corners of her mouth, feeling a little bit better that Gandalf had some kind of defense. 

Inside, Averael saw a greasy man kneeling next to the king, whispering something into his ear. The man was probably Grima, and most likely sent to corrupt the king by Saruman. King Theoden looked old and pale, his beard was long and white, and his eyes showed no emotion. 

"Why... should I... welcome you.... Gandalf... Stormcrow?" The king slowly asked, his voice weak like a sick man well into his nineties. 

"A just question, my leige." Grima said, standing up. "Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Ill news is an ill guest." He said, slinking around in front of the king, smiling slyly. 

"Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth." Gandalf said, raising his staff. "I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm." Averael stepped a little closer to Aragorn, suddenly feeling tension in the room.

"His staff!" Grima said, backing away form Gandalf. "I told you to take the wizards staff!" The guards around them attacked. Legolas and Gimli engaged in a fist fight with the guards nearest them. Averael's hands were caught behind her back and held there by a stronger guard, but she lifted her foot and brought her heel down hard on the soldiers foot forcing him to let go. She spun around and punched him in the jaw. He fell to the ground in a daze, and she held her fist tenderly. It had been a long time since she'd punched anyone. 

"Theoden, son of Thengel, too long have you sat in the shadows." Gandalf took a step towards the king as the fighting went on around him. Averael punched another guard, and as he was turned, she kicked him between the legs and then kneed him in the face when he doubled over.  

"Good hit." She heard behind her. She turned to see Aragorn looking at her, surprised. His eyes widened slightly, looking behind her, and she instinctively ducked under a punch thrown over her head. She grabbed a plate sitting on one of the nearby tables, and whammed the same guard in the head with it. 

Turning back to Aragorn, she smiled. "Thank you," she curtseyed jokingly. He chuckled, then elbowed a guard in the face as he tried to get up from the ground. 

Gandalf edged closer to the king, holding out his staff. 

"Hearken to me! I release you from the spell." Gandalf said. 

Theoden only cackled. "You have no power here, Gandalf the Grey!" He said. Gandalf threw off his grey cloak, revealing his white robes underneath. Theoden sat back in his chair at the sudden bright light. 

"I will draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound." Gandalf held his staff out to Theoden. A woman with long golden hair rushed in, and tried to run to Theoden. Aragorn stopped her. 

"If I go... Theoden dies." The king said, but it was not his voice. Averael recognized the foul voice in the air from Caradras. Saruman. "Rohan is mine!" 

"Be gone!" Gandalf struck Theoden as the king lunged at him. He fell back, and Eowyn ran forward to his side, Aragorn releasing her arm. Averael watched as the wrinkles disappeared from the king's face, his hair and beard became shorter and rich in golden color, and his blue eyes regained their gleam and focus.

"I know your face. Eowyn..." He said quietly. Eowyn began to weep. The king turned to Gandalf.
"Gandalf." He said, thankfully.

"Breath the free air again, my friend." Gandalf said. It seemed as though the Hall were filled with light again. Averael relaxed as the uneasy feeling around her ebbed. Aragorn touched her arm lightly, and she turned towards him. They looked at each other for a short moment, but Averael saw something in the corner of her eye. She turned, and saw Grima trying to edge his way out of the Hall. She stepped over swiftly and grabbed his arm tight before he made it all the way out. Grima snarled and tried to shake her off, but Aragorn came up behind him, grabbing him and pulling him back into the room. Grima scowled. Theoden now held his sword, and his gaze turned to Grima with an angry frown.

Grima was thrown out of the Hall. Theoden came forward, wielding his sword.

"I've only ever served you, my lord!" Grima pleaded for his life.

"Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!" Theoden yelled, stepping forward. 

"Send me not from your side!" Grima grovelled. Theoden raised his sword. Aragorn stepped forward and held him back.

"No, my lord. Enough blood has been spilt on his account. Let him go." He said to the king. Theoden lowered his sword. Grima sprang up, running away from the Golden Hall.

"Get out of my way!" He shouted as he ran, pushing a woman to the side roughly. Hama, the guard, turned to the king.

"Hail Theoden King!" he said, kneeling. Averael knelt in respect to Theoden. As she stood, Theoden looked around.

"Where is Theodred? Where is my son?" He asked, his voice scared. Eowyn's face suddenly looked crestfallen.

"Theodred is dead, uncle." She said quietly. Theoden turned to the Golden Hall and rushed in, followed by Hama and Eowyn. Averael looked worriedly to Aragorn before rushing in behind them.