Chapter Seven: Crebain

Leaves fluttered to the ground around the Fellowship as they stood by the lichen-covered archway, ready to leave Rivendell. Lord Elrond stood before them, speaking.

"The Ring-bearer is setting out on the Quest of Mount Doom. On you who travel with him no oath nor bond is laid, to go further than you will. Farewell, Hold to your purpose. May the blessings of Elves and Men and all free folk go with you." He said, spreading his arms. Aragorn and Legolas respectively bowed their heads, holding a hand over their heart. Averael nodded deeply.

"The Fellowship awaits the Ringbearer." Gandalf said, gesturing to Frodo. Frodo turned and led them through the archway, hesitant and uncertain.

"Mordor, Gandalf. Is it left or right?" Frodo whispered.

"Left." Gandalf answered, just as quiet. Frodo continued walking left, and the rest of the Fellowship followed. 

The Fellowship journeyed east through the Trollshaws over valleys and hills, and Averael found herself walking closer to Aragorn. There wasn't much talking between the group, but Frodo and Gandalf conversed quietly from time to time. 

About midday, the Fellowship paused for a rest and to have their noonday meal. Pippin still complained about only having three meals a day. Sam roasted sausages over a fire. The Fellowship rested on a windy hill, and Boromir sparred with Merry and Pippin, testing their fighting skills. Boromir's broadsword clanged against Merry's short dagger-like one.

"Two, one five! Good, very good!" Boromir said, counting with each movement. Aragorn sat nearby, smoking his long pipe.

"Move your feet!" he encouraged. Averael leaned against a rock, watching as well. She had to admit, Merry and Pippin were doing very well.

"You look good, Pippin!" Merry said.

"Thanks!"

"Faster!" Boromir moved his sword a little faster. 

Averael overheard Gimli speaking to Gandalf. "I'd say we were taking the long way round. Gandalf, we could pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin Balin would give us a royal welcome."

"No, Gimli, I would not take the road through Moria unless I had no other choice." The old wizard replied. Boromir accidentally nicked Pippin's fingers with his sword.

"Ahh!" Pippin dropped his sword and brought his fingers to his mouth.

"Sorry!" Boromir said, but Pippin kicked him in the shin. 

"Get him!" Merry shouted. The two hobbits tackled Boromir, bringing him to the ground. Averael chuckled.

"For the Shire! Get him! Get him Merry!" Pippin shouted. Averael stood to separate the fight, as did Aragorn. She grabbed Pippin and pulled him off Boromir, the hobbit still flinging his arms, and Aragorn tried to pry Merry off. Merry struggled in mock battle and Pippin helped pull the ranger to the ground. Averael laughed, bending down to help him up, and got pulled down to the ground as well.

Aragorn caught her, and she was suddenly aware of his strong grip. He stood up, helping Averael up, and once again they pulled the hobbits apart. She breathed heavily, controlling her laughter, and smiled at Aragorn with bright eyes. A few seconds later she had to force herself to look away. Legolas stared to the South. Sam noticed.

"What is that?" He asked. Averael looked. There was a black spot on the sky. She frowned. 

"Just a whiff of cloud." Gimli huffed dismissively. 

"It's moving fast, against the wind." Boromir stood, laying a hand on the two hobbit's shoulders. Now everyone in the Fellowship was looking at the peculiar spot in the sky.

"Crebain from Dunland!" Legolas called. 

"Hide!" Aragorn shouted. They scrambled to gather their things, putting them out of sight. Sam poured water on the fire, and found a spot with Frodo under a bush. Everyone looked for a hiding spot, Averael glanced around frantically to make sure the others were hidden. The Crebain moved closer. Aragorn saw her out, and rushed towards her, grabbing her and pulling her under an outcropping of rock.

They waited. Aragorn had his hand around her waist, and they huddled into the small space. He held her against him tightly, minimizing the chance they'd be seen. She head the Crebain pass by, and she turned her head to look at Aragorn. Their eyes met. For a moment it seemed time had stopped, but they heard no more of the birds and Aragorn broke the eye contact. She climbed out, Aragorn behind her, and it seemed he kept his hand on her waist a moment longer than he needed to. She blushed. 

"Spies of Saruman! The passage South is being watched! We must take the Pass of Caradras." Gandalf said, turning to look up at a great snowy mountain up above.

***

The Fellowship made their way up the mountain. It was cold and windy, and the snow clung to Averael's eyelashes. Frodo lost his footing in the deep snow, and began rolling down the hill towards Aragorn and her. Aragorn helped him to his feet, and Frodo immediately reached for his neck for the Ring. It was missing. Averael looked up where he had fallen from and saw Boromir holding the Ring up, staring at it. 

"Boromir!" Aragorn said. Boromir was oblivious. 

"'Tis a strange fate that we should suffer so much over so little a thing..." he said quietly, still staring at it.

"Give the Ring to Frodo." Aragorn directed. Boromir slowly walked forward, holding out the Ring.

"As you wish." Boromir said. Frodo snapped the Ring out of his hands. "I care not." Averael doubted him. Boromir still stared at the Ring, then looked ahead suddenly. He tostled Frodo's hair, then resumed climbing. 

Averael glanced at Aragorn, whose hand was releasing the hilt of his sword. Their eyes met again, and Averael hesitated stepping forward up the mountain until Aragorn looked ahead again. Her breath caught, but she brushed it off and continued.

They reached a higher ledge, and Legolas ran ahead easily while the others trudged behind slowly. Averael heard a voice though the blizzard winds heading towards them. 

"There is a foul voice on the air!" Legolas shouted.

"It's Saruman!" Gandalf yelled. 

"He's trying to bring down the mountain! Gandalf, we must turn back!" Aragorn shouted as a slab of rock fell down the mountainside. Gandalf shouted a countercurse at Saruman as a lightning bolt hit the mountain.

"We must get off the mountain! Make for the Gap of Rohan and take the west road to my city!" Boromir shouted, fighting the blizzard.

"If we cannot go over the mountain, let us go under it. Let us go through the mines of Moria." Gimli suggested. Gandalf thought deeply.

"Let the Ringbearer decide." He said grimly.

"We cannot stay here! This will be the death of the hobbits!" Boromir yelled, helping Merry and Pippin. The hobbits' lips were blue and though their tough feet needed no shoes, Boromir had to carry them. Frodo looked at Gandalf.

"We will go through the mines." He declared.

"So be it." The wizard nodded.