Chapter Twelve: Lothlorien

The Fellowship ran to the woods. They began walking once inside the grove of trees. Aragorn still carried Averael, and looked at her worriedly. She groaned anytime she had to move and closed her eyes tight. Her vision was blurry anyway, and she was fighting to stay awake. It was getting harder to breathe too, and she knew if she let go of her consciousness now, she would be lucky to wake up. 

"Stay close, young hobbits!" She faintly heard Gimli talking. He stopped abruptly as a notched arrow appeared in front of his face, and the rest of the Fellowship was met with the same. They were surrounded by woodland Elves. Legolas aimed his bow, pointing it at the owners of the other bows. A long haired Elf stepped up.

"The dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark." He said, looking at the dwarf. Gimli scowled. The elf glanced at Aragorn, then at Averael. Aragorn said something in Elvish but Averael was too tired to decipher what. The Elf led them on quickly towards Lothlorien. Night was falling.

The Fellowship waited nervously at the entrance to Lothlorien. Aragorn set Averael down, and tended to her wound, helping as much as he could. The Elf came to greet them.

"Mae govannen, Legolas Thranduilion. (Welcome, Legolas, son of Thranduil.)" He said.

"Govannas vin gwennen le, Haldir o Lorien. (Our Fellowship stands in your debt, Haldir of Lorien.)" He replied. Aragorn stood and whispered to Haldir quietly. Haldir turned and gestured to Averael, and another Elf came and picked her up, carrying her into Lothlorien. 

***

Averael woke up to the feel of a soft, wet cloth being run over her forehead. She turned slightly, boiling under the hot covers. The wet cloth felt good on her hot forehead, and she opened her eyes slightly. A bright light hurt her eyes, and she closed them again, this time slowly opening them into the pillow. She turned her head, and saw Aragorn with a wet cloth, dipping it into a bowl of cool water, wringing it out and bringing it to her again.

"You're awake," he said quietly, looking at her. She ran a hand over her cheek. It was very hot. She tried to sit up, but stopped when the pain in her side returned, but not as much as before.

"What happened?" She asked, tenderly sitting up in the bed. Aragorn helped place a few pillows behind her so she could sit comfortably, then handed her a glass of water, which she drank swiftly. Her throat was so dry she thought she could cough up dust. 

"We brought you to Lothlorien, and the Elves saved you with their medicines." He said, caressing her face with the cloth.

"Saved me?" 

"We almost lost you to the poison. You are lucky you only have a bad fever," he explained. Averael looked down at her side, pulling down the covers and sitting up to eye level with Aragorn. Her waist was wrapped in a white cloth, covering the wound. She wore a simple outfit of trousers and a shirt. She looked up at him. She could see something in his eyes, but she couldn't tell what. Feeling nervousness in her stomach, she blushed, looking away. 

"How long has it been?" She asked.

"Three days. As soon as you're able to, we will leave." Aragorn answered. 

"Three days!" She exclaimed. "Is everyone else alright?" She asked immediately, remembering the rest of the group.

"Yes, everyone is fine. We were all worried about you." He said. She looked up into his eyes again. They sat for a moment, just staring. Aragorn leaned a few inches closer, feeling her forehead, but he left his hand on her face. She blushed again, leaning in a little as well. She started to close her eyes, giving in to her instinctive reactions to kiss him, but the door opened, interrupting them. She pulled away quickly, sitting back against the headboard of the bed she way lying in. 

"Averael!" Pippin jumped on her to hug her. "Averael, I'm sorry I-"

"Pippin! It's alright! You're safe, and that's all that matters." She cut him off, smiling. She felt her face redden more as she looked back at Aragorn briefly. He was just smiling at her, and she rolled her eyes and shook her head at him slightly before turning back to Pippin.

The next day, Averael was able to stand up without too much difficulty. Everyone was ecstatic to see her awake, but every time she looked at Aragorn she got nervous and blushed. She spent the day talking with the others. Aragorn followed her around most of the day to make sure she had everything she needed. For the most part the Fellowship was happy she was okay, but she could still see the pain in everyone's eyes from losing Gandalf. She felt a pang in her chest when she thought of the wizard.

The day after that they were ready to leave. Averael's fever had gone down significantly. The Fellowship stood in a line, as elves pinned green cloaks onto them, fastened by green and gold leaf pins. Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel stood in front of them.

"Never before have we clad strangers in the garb of our people." Celeborn said. "May these cloaks help shield you from unfriendly eyes." They began to give the Fellowship beautiful gifts for the remainder of the journey ahead of them. Legolas recieved a bow of the Galadhrim, Merry and Pipping shiny new daggers, Samwise a coil of Elven rope, and Boromir new gauntlets. Galadriel gave something to Gimli that she couldn't see, and Frodo was given a vial of what looked like liquid light. The Elven queen beamed at each person as she passed, and finally came to Aragorn.

"I have nothing greater to give than the gift you already bear." She said.

"And what is that?" He asked, confused.

"You will find out soon enough," Galadriel said, with a twinkle in her eye.

"You have gone through much, and have much yet to endure." The Elven queen looked at Averael next. "There is something great in your future. Have patience." She smiled, and moved away. 

Elves prepared boats for them, loading parcels of elvish bread. Legolas bent and picked one up.
"Lembas! Elvish Waybread. One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man." He said, walking up to shore. Aragorn helped her into a boat and climbed in after her with Frodo. Boromir and the other three hobbits sat in another boat, and Legolas and Gimli sat in the last, with most of the waybread. 

"Every league you travel south, the danger will increase. Mordor orcs now hold the easter shore of Anduin." Lord Celeborn said to them as they sat in the boats. "Nor will you find safety on the western bank. Strange creatures bearing the mark of the White Hand have been seen on our borders. Seldom do orcs journey out in the open, under the sun, yet these have done so!" He said urgently. "Le aphadar aen. (You're being followed.) By river you have the chance of outrunning the enemy into the Falls of Rauros." He advised. 

"Thank you, Lord Celeborn." Aragorn nodded his head to the Elf in reverence. "You have done us a great service." 

They departed in the boats, rowing with the current. They continued most of the day before they stopped on the shore to rest before continuing their journey.