17

Liyah

I woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs. I grabbed my phone as my alarm went off for me to go to school. I'm surprised my mom is cooking this early, she must be in a good mood.

I checked my notifications and got up to get in the shower and do the rest of my hygiene stuff.

"Liyah are you gonna come eat!?" I heard my mom yell as I finished my hair.

"Yea, I was getting ready!"

For the past week I've been getting more in touch with James. It feels good to know that he's okay and nothings weird between us. I definitely feel the move changed our relationship but the love will always be there.

I walked downstairs to see everyone at the table eating.

"Wow. So y'all just gon eat without me?"

My mom handed me my plate as I sat down, "Girl you took forever to come down these folks hungry."

Everyone else was too busy eating to pay me any attention so I decided to join in.

"You guys have four minutes to be ready." My dad said, his Asian accent coming out.

"Dang we getting rushed now?" Mia said

"Right."

"Well you learn how to drive you won't be rushed. Better yet take the bus."

Me and Mia scrunched up our faces, "Yea right. How about you buy us a car. I know how to drive."

"How you learn to drive?" My mom asked me.

"Seeee, remember those days dad would pick me up early from school?"

"Mmhm"

"He was teaching me how to drive."

"Wow Liyah. Just snitch on me huh? You know what four minutes up, I'm leaving. If you're not in the car oh well."

"I— wait. I had to tell her."

"He never taught me." Mia mumbled.

"You inpatient that's why."

"You right, you right."

"Remind me not to let him pick you up no
more." My mom shook her head.

I shook my head picking up my purse, "Rell let's go!"

"I'm coming dang."

We walked to the car right before my dad was about to pull off.

I stuck my tongue out at him as I got in the car, "Ha ha we made it."

He side eyed me as he pulled out the driveway.

~

"Man we finna turn up."

Wednesday is Clarence's birthday and let me tell you, everybody is hype. I'm excited too of course, we've grown so close in such little time. It's like I've known him forever.

Clarence tapped me, pulling my attention away from the group, "What you gon get me for my birthday?"

I shrugged, "I don't know yet, why? You got something in mind?"

"Nah, just seeing where yo head at."

"Mmm. Imma hook you up tho."

"You better."

"And why is that?"

"Besides you being my best friend, I hooked you up."

"Yea yea I know."