4

I was attempting to bake a tray of chocolate chip cupcakes when the doorbell rang. I checked on the cupcakes one last time and made my way towards the door, curious of who it could have been. Peter was still working at the bakery and I was eagerly waiting for him to return with my donuts, so I knew it wasn't him.

I opened the door a crack, peering out at the man who stood there. He was dressed in a dark suit and was carrying a black suitcase, an expensive looking silver watch on his left wrist. His dark hair was styled back, a stubble gracing his jaw.

"Peter Dominique?" he asked, deep voice gruff.

I shook my head. "He's not here right now," I told him.

The man raised a brow. "Who are you, then?"

I felt my cheeks warm slightly. Who was I to Peter? His pet? His prized treasure? His...friend? I didn't know how to respond, so I had to come up with something. "He's my guardian," I answered quickly.

The man looked surprised. "I didn't know he had a kid. Although, to be middle-aged, it doesn't really surprise me."

I didn't correct him on it. Peter was not my father, but I couldn't care less if that was what the sketchy man thought. But most importantly, middle-aged?!

"What do you want?" I demanded, feeling uneasy the more time I spent around him.

"I was supposed to deliver Mr. Dominique this," he explained, nodding at the suitcase he was carrying. "Can you give this to him when he returns?"

"S-sure..." I reached out and took the suitcase from him. "Anything else?"

"Yeah. Tell him Antonio Regio says ciao."

I watched perplexed as the man walked away. Antonio Regio? Why did that name sound familiar? I closed the door, eyeing the case. My curiosity itched to look inside, but a bad feeling made me hesitate. I had heard rumors that the Italian mafia were settling in the city. But Peter was a baker, so I didn't see a reason why he would be involved with them, if that's who the man was.

I sat on couch and set the suitcase on my lap. Glancing up at the grandfather clock, I saw that it was five in the evening, which meant Peter would be home in an hour. An hour leaves me plenty of time to look inside, I realized.

I took a deep breath and pulled up the locks. On top of a pile of cash, a letter caught my eye.

Here's the cash. You better keep your promise or I'm sending my boys after you.

- Antonio

I stared at the money, wondering why they would pay Peter this much. Did Peter work for them? What did he promise to do? The questions kept coming and coming. I didn't know what to think of this; I never thought Peter would be the type to do something like this. Although, he did kidnap me...

I closed the suitcase and moved the locks back into place. I didn't want to get into any trouble with Peter, so I decided it would be wise to leave it and act as if I hadn't looked inside.

~<<>>~

Peter's POV

I sighed, glancing at the clock. I was finally done with my share of the cleaning. My employee, Frank, was wiping the counters.

"I'm off," I announced, hanging my apron on the hook and grabbing the box of donuts I promised Kenneth. Frank nodded, not saying a word. It wasn't like he ever spoke, though. Frank knew very little English and had made it clear that he didn't want to be forced to learn it, either. I would have never hired him if it wasn't for Antonio.

I left the bakery and made my way down the sidewalk. The sun had long since set and now the stars were out, the streetlights guiding my path. The wall home wasn't too long and I soon found myself standing in front of the door, the warm light of the lamps shining out from the windows.

I opened the door and walked in, the sweet scent of baking gracing my nose. Kenneth poked his head out from the kitchen, grinning ear-to-ear. His smile was the sweetest thing ever, lips pink and plump. His dark brown hair had grown an inch and now reached past his ears, a sharp contrast against his fair skin, going perfectly with his gray hazel eyes.

It pleased me to see him wearing the clothes I had picked out for him. He looked amazing in the red Lolita dress and fishnet stockings, the red bringing out the natural colors of his lips. His shaved legs looked feminine in the stockings, black slippers completing the outfit.

"Welcome home," he greeted in a shy, soft voice. He lowered his head to try and hide the blush, but I was fast to caress his cheek and plant a kiss against his forehead.

"It's good to be back." I pulled away and glanced at the stove. A tray of freshly baked cupcakes sat on top. "I see you baked while I was away," I observed happily.

Kenneth nodded. "I hope you don't mind."

"Of course I don't," I assured him, watching the tension in his body slip away. "In fact, I think they smell wonderful."

Kenneth's smile widened. "A man came to give something to you," he said, walking into the living room.

"Oh?"

Kenneth gestured to a suitcase on the coffee table. The sight of it made my stomach twist in worry. Did Ken look inside? I wondered, walking towards him. I glanced down at the suitcase and looked up, raising a brow.

"Did you peek?" I asked, crossing my arms.

Kenneth's eyes widened and he quickly shook his head. "Of course not, sir! I would never violate your privacy like that."

I smirked, pleased. Kenneth was well trained, even if he didn't realize it. "Good. I'll take it to my room, then."

Kenneth nodded and returned to the kitchen. I picked up the suitcase and walked to my room, closing the door gently behind me. I set it on the bed and opened it, inspecting the money and the note Antonio had left in there. I had the money, I now just had to keep my side of the bargain or else he would send his men settle thing.

Antonio was not the kind of man you wanted to anger. He had a bad temper, a sadistic personality, and enough connections he could make someone disappear off the face of the earth. If I failed him, Antonio would make it so that I never existed. No one would know about me. And no one--not even the police, would know what happened to him.

I took a deep breath, pinching the bridge of my nose in frustration. Antonio wanted me to kill someone. A cop, apparently. A young rookie that was close to sniffing him out. And if that wasn't problematic enough, he had also hired me to kidnap someone. I didn't know what he wanted from Ken, or why he hired me on the strict instructions to spoil the kid. I just hoped he didn't have anything malicious planned.

The image of Kenneth's dead body in a ditch sent a chill up my spine. I hoped he didn't have the intention of killing him; Kenneth was too sweet of a kid. Too pure and innocent for his own good.

~<<>>~<<>>~<<>>~<<>>~<<>>~

Ooh! Peter has a darker side to him.

Any ideas?