Chapter 10

Julie and I walked into the gym arm and ran, as I looked around in amazement.

"I haven't been in high school for 26 years." I said as Julie gave me a look.

"We all dropped out at 16 to pursue our dreams, but you saw how that ended." She chuckled.

"Oh definitely." Julie laughed.

Rolling my eyes, I wrapped my arm around her shoulder.

"Do we have any Bobcats in the house?" Flynn yelled out to the crowd.

"Everybody make some noise!" I chuckled at the younger girl.

"OK, OK, OK. Not too much noise. There's an anger management meeting down the hall." The crowd laughed.

Everyone went back to dancing as Flynn played another song.

Julie and I made our way over to the stage as Flynn spotted us.

She pointed to the side, we nodded before going over, Flynn smiled leaning down.

"How you feeling?" Flynn asked Julie.

"I'm a little nervous." Julie admitted as I squeezed her shoulder.

"You'll be fine. All your gear's backstage. Come on." Julie and I smiled as we made our way to the back.

I set the projector down as Flynn gasped.

"Oh my gosh! You look amazing!" Julie chuckled as they hugged.

"Thanks! It's my mom's. I finally went through her stuff." My heart sunk for the younger girl.

"She would've loved that you wore that." Flynn told Julie as I took out my phone.

"Are the guys here?"

"No, but they will be. They know how important this is to me." Julie said.

"Yeah, the boys don't let nobody down." I said as my throat felt dry.

"I'm going to go grab a drink." I told the younger girls.

They nodded as I made my way onto the dancefloor and to the refreshment table.

I poured myself some punch then stood back and watched students jumping around without a care in the world.

I sighed.

"School dances are supposed to be fun. But you don't seem to be having fun." I turned towards the voice.