2

The Sorting Hat

"We're ready for you now." She announced.
She leads everyone through two large doors and into the Great Hall, where there are four long tables filled with students, as well as floating candles hanging from the ceiling. The ceiling however, appears to be the sky.

"It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History." Hermione shared with everyone and i nodded, good to know. Professor Mcgonagall shushed her.

Professor Mcgonagall placed a four-legged stool in front of the first-years. On top of the stool she put a pointed wizards hat which was patched and frayed and extremely dirty.

"When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses. Granger, Hermione." She called out holding a long roll of parchment,I gave Hermione and good luck smile as she walked towards it nervously but also excited.
"GRYFFINDOR !" shouted the hat. Ron Groaned.

This carried on for the next twenty minutes. There were so many Hufflepuffs and Griffindors this year. Hannah, Susan and Justin were in Hufflepuff while Hermione, Harry, Ron, Seamus, Dean, Parvati and Lavender where in Gryffindor. I didn't know which house i wanted to be in, it would be good if i got into Gryffindor since everyone i knew was there. They all had their strengths though i highly doubt i would be Slytherin. Don't get me wrong, i've heard about Slytherin and how they were an unpleasant lot but i didn't let what others said about them affect my judgement of them, that would be too unfair.

"Malfoy, Draco." i held my breath, curious to know what house he would be in. Blue eyes, Ravenclaw. Blushed cheeks, Gryffindor. Blond hair, Hufflepuff. Draco swaggered forward when his name was called, the hat had barely touched his head when it screamed "SLYTHERIN !" Oh. He smirked proudly as if he got what he wanted and joined his friends, the two large boys from earlier, looking pleased with himself.

There weren't much people left now.
"Moon".. "Nott".. "Parkinson".. and then, at last-
"Valentine, Elizabeth." i walked straight blankly, sweaty palms, about to break into tears because of how fast my heart was pounding.

The hat dropped over my eyes and i looked at the black inside of the hat. Hands on my lap, fiddling with my fingers nervously, i waited patiently.
"Hmm" said a small voice in my eyes. "Difficult. Very Difficult. Plenty of courage, i see. Good heart and mind and oh my goodness, yes talented and intelligent too. Although not ambitious or cunning, you're determined and driven.. so where should i put you ?". I didn't hope for anything in particular and maybe thats more fair, the sorting hat would place me in a house i truly belonged and not wanted to be in.
"Better be HUFFLEPUFF !".

I got off the stool and walked shakily towards the Hufflepuff table. A senior got up, whom i assumed was the prefect, an shook my hands vigorously. Being older, he was tall with brown wavy hair and grey eyes. I blushed slightly, he was quite dashing. Cedric Diggory, he said his name was.

I looked across to the Gryffindor table and my friends waved happily to me. They must be happy to be in Gryffindor and so was i, happy to be in Hufflepuff.

The banquet commenced shortly after and i braced myself for my first year and the remaining years to come at Hogwarts