12

Elizabeth Day

"Since we're already here.. why not spend some time here, before curfew" I suggested and Draco grabbed my hands excitedly pulling me to the back of the room where he was earlier. He drew the curtains to reveal a small hidden room. There were two bean bags with red roses scattered on the floor along with lighted candles, and at the side, a bucket with bottles of pumpkin juice. Fairy lights hung from the ceiling and it was truly a spectacular sight. Music started playing, making me turn around to see where it's coming from. Did he do all this just for my forgiveness ?
Draco stood before me, holding a bouquet of sunflower. He was in a black suit, i hadn't noticed earlier. He looked more spectacular than the room. I accepted the flowers and we took a seat.

"What's this for?" I asked referring to the flowers. It was beautiful, just like the boy who gave them to me.
"It's your day so.." He answered shyly.
"What do you mean ?" I asked. I've always been slow.
"Valentine's Day" He said and i laughed.
"Thank you, Draco. I love it very much" I said. I loved that he bothered getting my flowers and do all this. I loved his thought and effort.
"That's good, i was afraid you wouldn't. Yellow is your favourite colour right ?" He asked.
"Well yes, I love all colours actually. What about you ?" I said, i did like yellow up till a few months ago. Now Blue was my favourite colour.

"Green." He answered like its the most obvious thing in the world, and it was. Why was i so stupid to ask.
"You and your obsession with your house colour" I said jokingly. Green.. i grabbed the pendant of the necklace i received this morning. Draco didn't answer, he stared at my neck. I glanced down to see the pendant in grasped in my hand. I was wearing it even though i didn't know who gave it to me, i was just so attracted to it. He stared, his face showing no emotion. I felt like i was staring at a blank canvas.

"Draco?" I whispered, hoping i hadn't offended him. He snapped out of his reverie.
"I want to know you, Elizabeth." He said softly and so suddenly as if he hadn't said anything at all.
"You do know me, Draco." I replied.
"Not as much as i want to. Will you tell me more should yourself ?" He asked and i was more than willing to. Draco Malfoy, the boy i liked, wants to know me better. The room was spinning.

"Well.. I love early mornings when it feels like the rest of the world is still fast asleep and i'm the only one awake, and everything feels like it isn't really real and i kind of just forget about all my problems because its just me, the world and the sunrise." I said randomly in one breath. I didn't know where that came from. Draco stared at me probably not expecting that.
"How about you ? Do you like the day or night ?" I asked trying to push the attention away from me.
"Night. I come up here often, alone. I have late night conversations with the moon you see. He tells me about the sun and i tell him about yo-" He cut off suddenly and i raised my brows at him.
"I tell him about my problems." He finished, clearing his throat and i could see that his checks were getting red.

"That's nice." I said. I didn't know this side of Draco exist. So vulnerable and precious, i wanted to protect him. He was quiet, probably ashamed that he had revealed a part of himself to me.
"You scare me," He said.
"Why ?" I asked, confused.
"Because i tell you things i can't even tell myself."

He got up suddenly and reached his hands out to me, probably trying to change the subject.
"Shall we dance, my lady ?" He asked me suddenly when a slow song came on.
"Yes, we shall." I said taking his hand and he pulled me up to him. He had one of his hands on my waist pulling me closer to him. It reminded me of that time in the Hogwarts Express.

He was a natural at dancing while i was a mess, stepping on his foot every few steps and apologising continuously but he wasn't mad at me. I didn't want to fall in love with him, but it was 9pm and we were laughing way to hard, and i felt happy for the first time in a long time, and i knew i was screwed.

After a few rounds, when Draco's feet started to hurt, we sat back down. We looked at each other with the biggest smile on our faces. His eyes twinkled under the lights, and he stared at me so lovingly. Was this it ? Was he going to ask me to the Yule ball ? Is that why he asked me here and danced with me ?

He's smile faded, as if he was reminded of something unpleasant.
"Pansy asked me anyway," He said, "to the dance." Oh.
"And my father is close to her father so he wanted me to take her.." Oh. Please say you said no.
"I'm taking her." Oh.
"Well that's great, Draco." I lied.
"You're a good dancer, she's lucky to have you as her partner." I smiled, but the pain was evident in my voice.
"It's late. We should get going." I said getting up quickly, i could feel the tears coming.

I walked down the stairs towards the common room quietly and Draco ran after me, offering to walk me back since it was late. I wished he would stop doing things like that to make me misunderstand that he might like me back. We made it clear back there, i reminded myself. We would be friends forever, nothing more.

"Goodnight, Elizabeth." He said when i was about to enter the common room. I looked at him once more, wanting to see him as much as i could.
"Beth. Call me Beth." I said, " Goodnight to you too, Draco." I said closing the door before he could say anything else.