19

Dumbledore's army & the Inquisitorial squad

After a few weeks of Umbridge's useless Defence Against The Dark Arts lessons, Harry finally formed a group that would learn actual defence magic called Dumbledore's army. He thought the group how to protect ourselves from future possible attacks that Umbridge refused to acknowledge. I accepted Harry's request immediately, having complete Faith in him.

I spent increasingly more time in the room of requirements with the DA, practicing our skills and putting theory into use. My friendship with the golden trio grew steadily over the recent weeks. Draco was sharp, he had noticed that i had skipped a few study sessions claiming that i was sick but he never mentioned it.

Umbridge had also grown daring over the weeks, becoming High Inquisitor and evaluating all the teachers. She was suspicious that we, especially Harry, would find a way to do magic despite the ministry's attempt to stop us. She had ordered all student organisations to be disbanded and formed her very own 'Inquisitorial Squad' along with Filch to make sure that the new school rules she had implemented were followed.

It become harder for us to sneak out to the room of requirements but we managed. By the time winter season arrived, the members of Dumbledore's army become quite good at defensive magic, and harry thought it would be fun to do a little friendly duel.
Ron had the unfortunate luck of going against Hermione who didn't hesitate to send him shooting up four metres in the air.

I sat with Draco in the library after another meeting with the DA, who had became a prefect and a member of the Inquisitorial squad. I hadn't realised that i was sweaty from the duel until i caught Draco staring. He must be thinking i'm a mess but he was kind enough not to comment. We sat in a comforting silence doing our essay on Merpeople when Draco spoke. He didn't need to whisper, he was soft to begin with when he wasn't making snide remarks.

"Umbridge have been interrogating students lately.. about suspected illicit activities." He said pausing his work to look at me.
"Oh." Was all i said, he knew.
"Any students found to be involved would be expelled." He told me. It was a reminder, he knew that i already knew the decree. I understood what he was trying to say but i wasn't going to stop. I failed to protect Cedric so now i'm doing everything i can to try and protect everyone else i love, Draco, even if it meant i could be expelled.
"I know, Draco." I lied. I'm sorry, Draco. What it was supposed to mean was that i was promising him that i wouldn't be involved in that.

He smiled at me relieved, we never needed to say anything to each other. We always just knew.

[Draco Malfoy]

The third that she told me she couldn't make it because she wasn't feeling well, i knew something was up. At first i thought she didn't want to be around me anymore but now i know that wasn't the case and honestly, i didn't know which was worse. The thought of her ditching me to hang out with Potter and dumb friends irked me. It was wrong of me to feel that way, she wasn't mine and she didn't belong to anyone but herself. She wasn't an object for anyone to possess but i just felt protective over her, i wanted her all to myself.

Being the good person she was, she was obviously on Potter's side, fighting against Umbridge. I hated her but i knew better than to mess with her. Potter was going to get her into trouble because of his selfishness and i just couldn't let that happen.

"I know, Draco." She said giving me assurance. I was glad, i thought it was going to be harder than this to convince not to go against Umbridge but she complied.