4

Dementors
Year 3

[Elizabeth]

Time passed in the blink of an eye. I was already in my third year at Hogwarts, getting used to Hogwarts express ride and sick of having bacons every morning.
Dad dropped me off at King's cross station like he had two years ago, nothing has changed. The station, my parents constant reminder to stay safe. The only difference being i wasn't the dumb first year who didn't know how to get onto platform 9 3/4.

"Elizabeth!" i turned around to find Harry waving at me excited and quickly pushed my trolley to where he was -between platforms nine and ten.
"Oh look how much you've grown over the break, Harry!" i said pulling him into a tight hug. Some things never change.
"I could say the same about you." he said, pulling away to get a better look at me. It seemed like he was blushing.
"5'3" i announced proudly as Harry gasped dramatically going along with me.

We went through the barrier in between the platforms swiftly, another thing i've gotten used to and no longer fear.
The same scarlet steam engine and overhead sign.
I gasped loudly as i saw Neville from afar, harry turned around to look.
"And i thought we were were the only ones who has changed." Looking around, i realised that so did most of the third years.

Last year, the Chamber of Secrets created under the Dungeons of Hogwarts by Salazar Slytherin, who disagreed with the other Hogwarts founders on the merits of Blood Purity,opened. It unleashed a monster called a basilisk which was intended to purge the area of Muggle-born students. Threats to kill all pupils who do not come from all-magical families are found after attacks that leave students including Hermione and Justin petrified. Harry was accused of being the heir of Slytherin and causing the attacks because of his ability to speak Parseltongue but of course i trusted and stood by him. He saved Ginny from the Chamber and cleared up the misunderstanding and was now as popular as ever.

Strange enough, i received a note warning about the attacks. It was anonymous but whoever wrote it told me to be careful and not wonder around the corridors alone or return to the common room too late at night. It was a fine parchment with gold details and at the bottom of it, 'M'. Whoever mystery M was, they must be wealthy.

It is safe to say that after that frightful event, everyone has matured not just physically.

I sat with Susan and Hannah on the train, the three of us became the best of friends since the first year. Hannah went off about her vacation to Blackpool with her family, handing them souvenirs but dropped them when the train suddenly jerked to a stop.

"We can't be at Hogwarts already" Susan said.
"Did the train break down?" i asked and they giggled.
"It runs on magic, Elizabeth dear." She told me, making me feel stupid.

The windows of the train began to freeze over with ice and the temperature dropped, making them stop laughing. Hannah could see her own breath fogging up against the glass of the window in front of her. I rubbed my arms, trying to keep warm as goosebumps appeared and i shivered.

"I'm going to see what's going on." I said getting off my seat, leaving before they could object.
I slipped out into the dark train hallway. It was so dark i could only see shadows of heads popping out their compartments trying to see what was going on.
I slowly made my way down the hall with my wand out and walked towards the front of the train. More goosebumps appeared on my arms as i sensed someone or something ahead of me.

I was approaching it when someone grabbed my arm and pulled me into the nearest door -one of the train's washroom. I gasped loudly, my heart beating hard in my chest and i opened my eyes to find my hands still held tightly (a familiar warmth) and pressed against someone's chest. I let out a sigh of relief seeing their Hogwarts robe, he was just a student. I raised my head slowly to see who he was. Silver ring with a serpent.. green Slytherin tie and..blue eyes. Draco Malfoy. I immediately recognised those blue eyes even though i've only ever actually stared into it once, two years ago.

Hufflepuff and Slytherin hardly had any classes together so i barely saw him. Of course i've passed by him a few times in the hallways, but he was always surrounded by his Slytherin friends who picked on me for being a muggle born but he never joined them or even looked at me.

I have grown taller in the past month but so has he, i still stood one head shorter than him. His hair was no longer slicked back, it now fell in front of his forehead. His innocent childlike face was more mature but still cute nonetheless. Cute, was a understatement and so was gorgeous.

"It's a dementor. They're searching the train for Sirius Black." He said a little louder than a whisper, letting go of my hands. His first sentence to me in two years.
I pulled away from him, distancing myself by leaning against the washroom wall and nodded even though i didn't understood what dementors were and who Sirius Black was.

We stood apart for another minute just staring into each others eyes and i wondered if he still remembers me. He had the same unreadable expression on his face like he wanted to say something but didn't know what.
Its been two years after all and we weren't exactly friends, it was only an introduction. But we looked at each other a little too long to be 'just friends'.

The air got colder as it got closer. We could hear its ragged breath as it drew nearer. I could see its shadow from the bottom of the washroom door, it could sense us too. Afraid it might come in and harm us, i wrapped my arms around Draco, and buried my face into his chest, instinctively as fear took over my body. He didn't push me off like i expected him too; he instead wrapped his arm around my shoulder protectively and backed us up as far away from the door as possible.

My eyes were closed, and i could hear Draco's quickening heartbeat like mine. He must be scared too.We stayed still and silent, waiting for what would come next.
Draco's muscles finally relaxed around me.
"It's gone now, Elizabeth" he whispered into my ears in a gentle and loving tone, with his arms still around me. He remembers me. I didn't dare to move just yet, in case it came back. I just stayed silent, still in Draco's arms. Warm, just like his hands. I was so glad that he was with me, i wouldn't have known what to do if he wasn't here.

The lights came back on and the train began to move again. I looked up at Draco, who looked down at me; his cheeks pinker than usual. Must be because of the temperature.
As colour seemed to return to my face, my cheeks suddenly felt hot, realising we were still in each other's arms. I pulled away and backed away from him, looking down not wanting him to see my flushed face.

Draco looked uncomfortable as he straightened himself up. "I should get going now, goodbye".
I nodded, avoiding looking him in the eyes. Draco passed me, his arms brushing against mine as he left. My heart was still beating fast, but not from the dementors. Draco.