13

[Draco Malfoy]

Valentine's Day, how silly and an absolute waste of time. I gagged at the hearts pasted all over school, making Hogwarts even uglier than it was. It was after a certain Valentine came into my life, that i felt maybe it wasn't that pathetic. It was her day after all.

I got up early in the morning, sending the necklace and card i had prepared a few weeks prior. I was at Hogsmeade with Crabbe and Goyle when i spotted a matching set of necklace and ring through the glass of a shop. Gold with emerald heart. The sign wrote: The fastest way to get a girl is through matching jewellery. Girl's just can't say no to jewellery !
I remembered mother telling me when i was younger that when i find a person i love, i should get her something nice and so i did - i bought it. Keeping the ring for myself.

I hope she likes it, i thought as i sent my owl.

I went to class early, i had Potions with her today. We hadn't talked since that day. I wanted to apologise but she seems to always be surrounded by her friends and Crabbe and Goyle were always following me. She had grown closer to Diggory and the Weasleys, i noticed slightly jealous. I didn't see her often, it was almost like she was avoiding me but why wouldn't she ? She probably hated me.

I sat at the back so that i could watch her during class.
She came in shortly after and her sweet scent filled the room. Her hair was slightly shorter than the last time i saw her last week, curling inwards below her shoulders and she had pinned one side of her hair. She must have had her hair cut over the weekend, looking beautiful regardless of what hair length she had.
"Since it's Valentine's day today," Snape said. Elizabeth Day.
"I have prepared a special concoction. I would like a few students to give it a whiff before i explain what it is.. How about you, Mr Malfoy ?" He asked and i groaned internally.

She took a shower this morning, i thought as i passed by her. Her scent was like a drug to me, like my personal brand of heroin.
I sniffed the potion but all i could smell was her. Then it hit me.. Amortenia.
"Jasmine. Vanilla and honey." I said smirking.
"Very good. Ms Valentine ? Since it's your day after all ?" Snape said. I really wanted to know what she smelled.

It was obvious she didn't know what the potion was yet, it was evident on her face as she leaned in closer to the cauldron.
"Cologne..mint.." She said finally, looking around uncomfortably. Which one of us was it. Fletchly ? No.. none of the hufflepuff boys seemed to have cologne on. Not the Ravenclaws or Gryffindors either. It could have been Blaise, he was popular among girls.
"Green apples." She said and my worries disappeared. I had green apple this morning before class.

"This is Amortenia, the most powerful love potion in the world. It smells differently to each person, according to what attracts them." Snape said and i smirked. She smelled me.

I couldn't focus. She smelled me, does that mean she likes me too ? No, maybe someone else in the room had a green apple. Even though it is hard for me to admit, why would she like me when she was surrounding by boys who were better than me and obviously crushing on her ?
I needed to speak to her.. before i lost my chance to other guys so i sent her a note asking to meet me at the astronomy tower tonight. I needed to apologise, i couldn't spend another month not speaking to her. I couldn't let the friendship we built come crashing down because of my stupid mistake caused by my pride.

At the end of the day, Professor Mcgonagall announced that the Yule ball was going to be held in a few months time. That was my chance to ask her so she knows how i truly feel about her but my plans were ruined when father sent me an owl telling me to go with Pansy for the sake of his friendship with Mr Parkinson. It wasn't a question, i couldn't say no.

"Do you happen to happen to have any more red roses here ?" I asked Professor Sprout. We were at the greenhouse where we normally had Herbology and the room was filled with a variety of flowers today, probably because it was Valentine's day. I almost thought she wouldn't give them to me since i wasn't the most likeable student.
"They're right behind you. Help yourself to them, dear." She said and one of her eyes twitched like something went into her eye. I suppose that was a wink. 

I grabbed some roses and was about to leave when a bouquet of sunflower caught my eye. It was almost like it was meant for me to find. I didn't know if i was allowed to have them but i took it quickly attempting to hide it while i exited the room.
"Sunflowers," Professor Sprouts said while plucking weeds. I stopped in my tracks. Shit.
"Symbolises joy, adoration, loyalty, and unconditional love." Unconditional love.
"I hope it brings her joy, Mr Malfoy." She said and i left.

I changed into my black suit, heading to the astronomy an hour earlier to prepare everything. It had to be perfect. The astronomy tower was already beautiful so i didn't have to do much. I just added some beanbags and lighted candles. I wanted to give her the roses at first but it was too cliché so i scattered them on the floor. I paced around the room, it was almost time but what if she didn't show up ?

The door clicked and i turned around relieved.
"Stargazing, Draco ?" Professor Dumbledore asked with a smile.
"Y-yeah." I stuttered. He knew i was lying.
"Alone? At this hour?" He said looking at down at the roses, his smile not leaving. He knew.
"It's perfectly normal. I too, come up here once in awhile to be alone." I bit my lip and nodded.
"I'm sorry i wasn't the person you were expecting." He said. Why did he have to know everything?
"I wasn't-" I said defensively, trying to deny before he cut me off.
"We fall in love with the people who make us love the person we are when we're around them." He said with a knowing smile before leaving at last.

I did love myself around her; and i've never loved myself.