20

Red handed

[Elizabeth]

I sat in the corner of the room of requirements, unable to produce a patronus. I had tried for the past hour, unable to produce anything more than a wisp of blue light. As i was starting to feel disheartened that nearly everyone around me had managed to conjure one.

"Hey, you alright ?" Harry walked over, concerned. He sat next to me as we watched across the room. Hermione had conjured her patronus, an otter.
"Yeah, i just can't do it. I don't know why." I said disappointedly but Harry wasn't going to give up.
He stood up, offering his hand, and a small inviting smile, "Come on, i'll help you".

I plastered a smile and took his hand. "Think of the happiest memory you possibly can, Beth. Focus on it." He said. I hadn't seen my family in months and i was starting to miss them dearly, thinking about them only made me miss them more so it couldn't help to conjure a patronus.

I whipped my wand out, holding it steadily. I closed my eyes, trying to think of another happy memory. The first time i met Draco. Dancing with him at the astronomy tower. Swimming in the black lake.
"Expecto Patronum !"
A ball of light erupted from the tip of my wand. The blinding light swirled around the air for a second before it took form. An elegant butterfly fluttered its wings, flying around the other patronuses in the room.

"It's beautiful" I whispered admiring the little winged insect, flying gracefully in the air. It seemed like just about everyone had managed to conjure their patronus. The room filled with glowing blue-white light and an assortment of animals. Ginny's horse galloped through Neville, Cho's swan waddled across the floor..
This was how Hogwarts should be, filled with joy and magic not fear and oppressive rules.

"Thank you, Harry." I said beaming at him as my patronus faded. He was shorter than Draco so we stood almost face-to-face. Harry was so different from Draco, much simpler. Draco was complicated, he hides his emotions behind his facade of prejudice and masculinity and even though we were friends, i felt like he still wasn't himself around him. I was a muggleborn after all, i didn't expect him to treat me like i was his equal. With Harry, it was different, he was sincere and i felt more comfortable around him.

"It was all you" He said putting his hand on my shoulder, "I'm glad you agreed to join the Dumbledore's army." His cheeks turned slightly pink as Hermione and Ron stared at us from across the room with a knowing face.

"Of course, i-" The room shook. The chandelier's crystals clattered against each other. The room fell silent as the patronuses vanished, fear seeping in. Everyone gathered around a wall, where the sound was coming from. Harry gripped my hands tightly as if telling me not to be afraid. A loud crack was heard, the mirror started shattering.

"Hurry, they are coming. Get out of the room ?" Harry shouted and chaos broke out in the room. Everyone scrambled to get out through the back door, grabbing their friends with them. I couldn't just leave them here, i was going to let myself be caught with them as a frantic armed grabbed me and dragged me out of the exit. George.

The exit led to a tunnel which we entered. We continued walking forward for what seemed to be forever, not knowing where it led to before reaching another door. George opened the door, peeking out before letting out a sigh.
"It's the corridor by the Great hall, hurry and get back to your common room okay ?" George said letting go of my hand, "Promise me not to come back, Beth." He said looking at me seriously and i nodded.

He turned back, about to go back into the tunnel.
"Wait,where are are you going ?" I asked grabbing his arm again.
"Back to the room of requirements, they are still in there." He said, pushing my hands off, i knew he referred to his siblings and Harry and Hermione.
He left as i watched him disappear into the darkness before stepping out. Seeing no one in sight-

"Why does it have to be you" A voice tinged with anger and disappointment said from behind, i could recognise that voice from anywhere. He walked up to me, i didn't bother to run. I stood rooted to the spot, my head hung down in guilt. I couldn't face him. I couldn't see his expression, but i expected it to be full of anger and betrayal.

He pulled me into a narrower hallway, away from anyone's sight, his voice dropping to a whisper. "Potter hadn't written your name on the list." What ?
"I saw the list. It didn't have your name on it. Which means Umbridge has no idea that you were part of them and i'm the only person who does". What was he trying to say ?
"Draco, i'm not going to watch them be punished while i escape unharmed." I said, they were my friends.

"Beth, now's not the time to be loyal. If Umbridge finds out she won't hesitate to expel you, and you being a muggleborn isn't helping very much either." He said, his voice now aggressive and i knew it wasn't up for discussion.
"Draco, i'm sorry-" I said as he started stomping away. He had every right to be mad, i messed up. It was all my fault and now he's leaving me.

I ran to him without thinking, i just knew that i couldn't lose him. I wrapped my hands around his waist, my face pressed against his back as i started sobbing uncontrollably.
"Beth.." He said and i just couldn't hold it in any longer.
"I love you, Draco." I blurted out, getting the weight of the secret off my chest. He didn't respond.
"I'm in love with you, Draco Malfoy." I repeated, louder this time. He removed my hands from his waist and i could feel my heart breaking but he turned around to hug me back.

"I love you too, Elizabeth Valentine." He said whispering into my ears and my heart melted. That's all i ever wanted.
I looked up at him and his lips crashed onto mine, he suddenness of the kiss made me stagger backwards but Draco's hands around my waist held me steady. We were kissing.
My arms and lips had a mind of their own, even though i remained shocked. My arms wrapped around his neck, pulling him closer and deepening our kiss.
We pulled apart, smiles spread across our faces as we stood together, just holding each other.

[Draco Malfoy]

I walked away from her, disappointed. In the end, she chose Potter. Our relationship was getting better and i thought she had started to trust me a little more, i thought she wouldn't do things that makes me worried but i was wrong. I was too ahead of myself, it was never me she cared about but Saint Potter. She was willing to put herself at risk, and lie to me.. all for him.

I heard her tiny footsteps running towards me and was about to turn around and tell her to be careful when she wrapped her hands around my waist tightly. Her face was pressed against my back and i could hear her sniffs. My heart ached, how could i be mad at her ? I forgave her immediately but was still reluctant to talk to her but i didn't have to say anything because she said everything that was needed.

"I love you, Draco." She mumbled between sobs. I thought i had heard her wrong, she said she love me. The words i've yearned to hear from her, coming right out of her mouth like honey.
"I'm in love with you, Draco Malfoy." She said again and i didn't mind hearing it over and over.
I finally turned around to hug her, barely containing my smile, "I love you too, Elizabeth Valentine." She looked up at me with her big watery eyes and that was all it took. I kissed her and forgot to breathe, it just didn't seem as important at the time.