Prologue

TW: ABUSE

     The first time his mother laid a hand on him, Sirius Black was 8 years old, and it wouldn't be the last. It was the summer of 1967, rain was pattering against the drawing room window, and the Black family household was as dark and grim as ever. His father, Orion, was going on one of his lengthy rants about pure bloods being  superior. His brother, Regulus was listening with wide eyes, hanging on to every word. His mother, Walburga was nodding her head vigorously, occasionally making a comment, which was almost always included the phrase "filthy mudbloods". Sirius however, was staring at his knees, thinking longingly of his broomstick lying under his bed. His head suddenly snapped up when he heard his father mention the school he was to go to when he turned 11. "The standards at Hogwarts dropping every year, soon they'll let muggles carrying sticks in..." he felt a grin playing on his lips, and it had nothing to do with Orian's comment; he had dreamed of going to Hogwarts ever since he was a toddler. 

     "Do you find something amusing boy?" his mothers stern voice asked, waking him from his trance. Sirius looked away sheepishly, ashamed that he had not been able to control his smile. "No I was just thinking about......how awful muggleborns were!" he lied. He knew he could not admit that he had let his mind wonder, and thought he had come up with a convincing lie. SMACK. Apparently not. he touched the place where his mother had struck him, and could feel the tears forming in his eyes. "CALL THEM BY THEIR PROPER NAME!" she shrieked, "THEY ARE NOTHING MORE THAN DISGUSTING LITTLE MUDBLOODS!" 

Sirius ran, he ran up the stairs and into his room, slamming the door behind him. He stood in front of it and let the tears roll down his cheek. He had never been particularly proud of the name "Black", but now, he wanted nothing do do with them. Now, he was going to do everything in his power to go against everything they stood for.

Summary: if you skipped this chapter: the black family were listening to Orion (Sirius's father) rant, when he mentions Hogwarts. Sirius dozes off as he begins thinking about his future school (he is eight years old at the time.) when his mother asks him what he is thinking about he lies and says 'how awful muggleborns are' his mother gets angry that he didn't call them mudbloods and hits him. he runs to his room and decides he wants nothing to do with his family and wants to rebel against them.