Chapter 8

The trio climbed through the portrait hole to find Sirius sitting on the floor, the same unexpressive look on his face. Remus and Peter seemed doubtful on what to do, feeling horrible for their new friend but still not quite sure what was going on.

James however, walked straight up to Sirius and sat down on the floor opposite him. He took the crumpled note out of his balled fist and threw it into the fireplace, the four boys said nothing as it turned to ash. 

When the piece of parchment was nothing but grey powder, James finally spoke up.

"So none of us are quite sure what happened mate, Was that really from your mother?"

Sirius looked up at him "Yeah." He didn't elaborate

"But why?"

"Like i said on the train, my family aren't big on, well...any house that isn't Slytherin."

"Oh"

"But it's fine" he said quickly "what they think doesn't matter, I'm proud to be in Gryffindor! I don't know why I'm overreacting like this."

Remus put his hand on Sirius's Shoulder 

"Well, we're here for you mate." he said 

James doubled over laughing.

"I'm sorry," he said between breaths "Its just,  you've known the dude for 36 hours, you have no idea if he's some phsyco murderer or something, and that sh- crap is so sappy!"

Soon they were all on the floor wheezing, although they were unsure what they were laughing at, the note driven out of their minds.

But ever since that day, the 4 boys became inseperable.